How Have You Changed Your Home To Accomodate Huskies.

Andy

Since we got our Huskies we've had to make some big changes to the house to keep them and our posessions safe.

What have you changed in your house to suit you furkids ??

1. Dogflap in backdoor.

2. completely fenced the back garden and the front of house so they can go in and out without escaping.

3. Stairgates to stop them going in the kitchen (open plan no door) and upstairs 

4. Child locks on all kitchen cupboards and drawers.in case they jump the stairgates

5. Never open any windows that face out front (even bedroom windows)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1) made them their own room so cages werent scattered all over the house

2) built a fence around the back of he house attaching to our nice screen porch which is now reuined to give them protection

3) removed most of my flowers from outside as Cherokee is allergic

4) block them out of the kitchen area and make them go around so they do not attempt to mess with where the food is

5) put bars in spare bedroom so we can open windows because they sit so low to the ground they could get out them if they tried

6) bought a chair just for them to be on and only them

fenced in backyard....extra bright lights in the backyard at night to help keep away skunks when Juno is outside on yard patrol keeping the backyard safe....covers for the couch for easy fur clean up.....opening windows from top only to prevent her from going out the screen.......gate to keep her in the kitchen n laundry room while I'm at work......I'm sure there is many others but cant think of them now.

1. Crates in lower living room

2. Blanket on lower living room couch (it's black suede need I say more)

3. Area rug in upper living room (hardwood floors)

4. Dog beds next to our bed

5. Fans in bedroom for better air circulation

6. Removable "farm" fencing in backyard to keep the dog out of places we don't want them.

7. Doggie pool in the back yard

8. Dyson Vaccuum to keep up with the fur!

...and after all that I couldn't be happier! :D

I haven't changed much in the house

1:covered the holes at the bottom of the fence (although Sasha had no interest in them)

2: put stuff she isn't allowed to have up higher (she still manages to get certain things down is really like to know how she does it)

3: gave her a blanket for the floor so she can sleep on it

4: did have covers on the lounge but Sasha didn't like them on there and constantly pulled them off so I stopped putting them on lol we had white leather lounges now they have scratches all over them and marks that don't want to come off luckily we didnt pay for these ($2500 lounges if we did) which is another reason I'm not bothered by it.

5: now that Sasha has taken interest in our two fish tanks I might have to block them off haven't yet though because at the moment she just watches the fish.

And all animals will be blocked out of the babies room when he comes along :)

1) Bought a Kennel and put it outside the back door for her to sleep in. But that's all and I would have had to do that for any breed.

Everything else she learnt quick (not allowed upstairs, anything human is not to be touched, door open does not mean go)

Fenced off the back garden as you can see from the picture new fencing is going up :) also fenced off the grass area from the patio so the dogs only on grass when we are :)

post-7-0-80532800-1367492487_thumb.jpg

Took out 2 double cupboards outta the kitchen to put there crates in :)

post-7-0-48777500-1367492547_thumb.jpg

I know I need to vac :rofl:  

my house already has a tall fence to begin with and Diamond is not crated, so my house hasn't changed much. Apart from the plants. My dad was once a huge plant collector. But then Diamond developed a habit of chewing the plant's pots and my dad decided the pots--along with the plants--should go. Not long after that Diamond destroyed the garden and now all tiny plants small enough to fit in Dime's mouth has been taken away as well! This is Diamond's third day at home. You can still see all those lovely plants in the background haha... 

post-2850-0-34027600-1367493474_thumb.jp

oh that photo reminds me. That shoe rack has also been removed. The front porch has turned into "Diamond's Zone" now LOL unless an object has something to do with Diamond, it wouldn't be there :P 

Rugs to cover the tile floor so he has a non-slip safe place lol.

More of a lifestyle change, but finding/scheduling work days and classes in such a way that the pup is never left alone too long. Also scheduling outings and events the same way.

• Stair gate on the stairs, upstairs is a dog free zone.
  • Crates take up a little bit of the kitchen not much though.
  • Throws on our lovely sofas so you cant actually see how lovely they are :( lol

Fenced off the back garden as you can see from the picture new fencing is going up :) also fenced off the grass area from the patio so the dogs only on grass when we are :)

attachicon.gifDSC_3208.jpg

Took out 2 double cupboards outta the kitchen to put there crates in :)

attachicon.gifDSC_3207.jpg

I know I need to vac :rofl:  

that cabinet thing looks rather awesome!! dont know why i never though of this lol but they have their own room now so dont need to say anymore(spoiled brats) lol

Well...first...we moved! Yes, we moved to a house with a big yard to accommodate the dog.

We also got rid of all throw rugs because originally she would pee on them, but then she wanted to chew on them. Not sure if she's past that stage yet. 

Keep all paper products behind bars. All food off counter.

Baby gate, crates, covered sofa.

We built a conservatory - still need to re-fence the backyard so its is 100% husky proof - get rid of the greenhouse because its a health hazard, change the internal doors so that when they're shut, Luka cannot open them etc. etc. etc.

1.  Covers for the furnature

2.  30ft by 30ft fenced area for potty

3.  Bought a SUV

4.  Baby gate to protect the cat's litter box

5.  Made room in the living room and bed room for crates

6.  Took lamps off the tables

7.  Thick blanket over the end of the bed so the wood does not get scratched.

8.  Run the AC way more then I like

I think that is it.

Dog crate taking up all my kitchen space, stairgate to the living room so the kids can eat in peace, new back fences, patched up pillows/duvets/mattresses, and an aversion to leaving the house for anything other than essential journeys such as work. Oh and all my potted plants relocated to the front garden for their own safety and spending a small fortune on grass seed. Sure there's more but it's all so routine, I can't really remember any other way now!

Baby gate at the bottom of the stairs and at the kids' bedroom, crate in our small living room, for the first couple of Lunar's puppy months we had cables hidden and the first stair step covered in foil, never open front door (for ex. to the postman) without making sure the dogs are safe and enclosed....I think this is all:)

Moving my bear collection up higher, closing living room door when out and buying more socks. We already had dog flap and we don't cage though we hsvd one ss an escape for Charlie thst he had after his op.