Does Your Dog Demand Attention?

Chula

Chula is not very good at entertaining herself. She sort of demands to be entertained, either by treats, toys, tug, games, playing outside - but she doesn't like to do any of it alone. If she is let outside, she'll sit on the steps looking through the screen door as if saying "well? you coming?" and if someone doesn't go out with her, she only lasts outside about 30 seconds before she wants back in. Even when eating from her kong or treat ball in the other room she wants to be where she can see us.

Do your dogs play with themselves? (heehee)

Daughtry and Darwin not so much, they are pretty laid back.

However. . . .

Echo bugs us all the time for ball throws.

She will sit with the ball in her mouth making whiny noises.

Then she'll drop the ball at our feet.

Back up sit down then look at the ball, then me, then the ball, then me all the time making whiny noises.

When she stops and goes lie down somewhere then one of us will take her out for one.

But. . .

Not when she's demanding it.

With multiples it is easier.  They play with each other and leave us alone more.  However Rusty loves to play by himself.  Vader throws his own balls to fetch.  Rori is just a terrorist.  

Yeah, honestly, this is the main reason I am considering a second dog. So she has someone else to whine at!

It's interesting you bring this up, as I was just wondering if my new pup was ill because he's so independent. Ro has a hard time handling this...he wants to play, he can't believe this little ball of fluff is walking around ignoring his nose boops and mouth hugs. 

Saying that, Ro isn't as bad as he use to be. He has learned to play on his own, but he can still overdo quite easily with very little encouragement. He's good for tossing toys and playing tug. Pup is more on the do it himself guy, but he is starting to bond and come to me more for cuddles and play...but I don't foresee him being anywhere near Ro's game level. lol 

Last but def not least is my little guy Knarly, who is getting up there in years so he doesn't play nearly like he use to. He's the one that taught ME how to fetch, dropping balls on my lap, in my hands...awake or sleeping, didn't matter. I'd wake up to about 5 balls and a stuffy that I stuffed under myself during the night as he'd just go get another when I didn't throw it. He still brings me a toy while sitting in the *ahem* bathroom though and drops a toy in my pants to throw. 

Even though I have two they both still do it at times. Shadow will whine at me and put his head on my lap or bring me toys when he wants attention etc

Skye although she has stopped doing this so much now would do very very similar to andys gsd but without a ball but she would sit in front if me and back up whining or barking at me I just ignored her she hasn't done this for a few weeks actually guessing its worked lol.

Skye likes to be where I am most the time, shadow happily goes and lays on his own outside or inside for a while. Both also play together but you will see Skye playing with toys on her own its quite funny to watch she even throws herself a ball lmao

Diamond is quite hard to be predicted. Sometimes he doesn't care what I'm doing or where I am but some other times he'd nose-boop my laptop trying to close it  :lol: at those times he'd run around in circles until I put my laptop down and play with him  :) but when he's on his "I don't give a damn" moment, I can do all I can to get him to play and he wouldn't even budge :P  

Avalanche is my "play boy" he wants to play until someone drops out!  But he's also good about playing by himself - outside he'll play with his Jolly Ball ( or a milk or soda bottle ) until he gets tired - which may take 15 - 30 minutes.  Then he comes in and bugs Sasha.

Sasha is completely different - she may come over and talk to me because she wants to be petted but even though she will play with Avalanche for a while she gets irritated with it quickly.

Nikko was always independent.  In fact if I go up and love on him he will sometimes get up and walk away!  Yukon is a little more affectionate, but even he wants to be left alone.

Kodi on the other hand does demand attention, even with the other 2 there to entertain him.  If you don't pet him he will nudge you and lean against you until you do it.  And he will roll on his back for belly rubs. 

I concur that having a second dog keeps them occupied, but not always out of trouble.  They still get into stuff they shouldn't

balto loves to play with himself, we try to play fetch with him which he does like for us to throw the ball first but then he likes to take over and play with himself. However, he will demand attention in very annoying ways such as jumping on us when sitting, barking extremely loud, putting his head in our crotch, etc. We try to ignore him and to also put him down on the ground but then he nips thinking we want to play so he goes to time out.