Spoke Too Soon...

Chula

So remember how I asked when pups were housebroken? Well last night when I got home, it seemed like Chula had wet feet but there wasn't really any wetness in the crate, so I figured it might have been from her frozen Kong. But to be sure I bathed her feet, cleaned out the crate and washed her toys. She had been let out less than four hours prior.

So today I got home to let her out and she definitely peed in her crate. So repeat bathing, cleaning, etc. She hates baths so its horrible to have to keep bathing her. Then she drank so much bath water that she regurgitated.

She cried off and one for a good half hour afterward and was mad when I took away her pee soaked toys.

What is going on? Nothing has changed in her schedule. She's eating fine. But she is extra clingy. Doesn't want to be alone or outside by herself. She's never had bad SA. She's been successfully pee free in her crate since she was 10 weeks old.

May have a slight bladder or urinary tract infection. Might want to pick up some cranberry pills in the vitamin aisle at Walmart. Eisa had a similar issue sharply after she came to live with us. Gave her one tablet twice a day and it did help. If that does not clear the problem in a day or two, may need to call the vet.

She doesn't pee at night in her crate. I'll try the cranberry pills though just in case.

Her daytime crate is bigger than her nighttime crate, might try keeping her in the smaller crate during the day. She used to have a divider in the big crate but we stopped using it 3 weeks ago because she seemed ok in it but she can pee in a corner and probably feel like she's not in her bed space.

If she has too much room I would take away some space.  You might have to go back to square one.  Both of mine had the occasional accident before.  When Nikko did he ended up having a UTI.  And the other time is when I had him on rice and boiled chicken, he had too much and the higher water content made him pee.  

Don't be too discouraged.  Nikko was 6 months old until he was fully trained.  

It is probably the space :) I had to downsize Skye to stop her going in her crate also :) shadow wasn't fully house trained till over 6 months.

Only other thing I would say is could she be coming into season?

Cant find the divider dangit. Fashioned one out of the top of a rubbermaid tub. She may knock it down, we will see. Tomorrow I'll go to the hardware store and get something to make a proper divider. Also took her water up an hour ago. Fingers crossed that she stays dry. She is being extra rebellious these days. Serious sassy attitude.

I'd never seen a crate until a few years ago and I have never used one so I won't say I know anything about them but what has been mentioned about space makes good sense.

I hope it's that and not a medical reason, Good luck!

I'm hopeful that we will soon have an outdoor run with a shelter. She will be so much happier outside than crated. Though I'm glad she is (or at least WAS) crate trained. And once she is spayed and a little more mature she can go to work with the other half. I hate having to sit at work wondering if she's sitting in her own urine.

You know, I can handle re-crate training, and dealing with the peeing, but the crazy clingyness is driving me batty. She never used to be so clingy, but now she refuses to be outside alone (or she'll sit right by the door and whine until I let her in), follows me to the bathroom, to the bedroom, etc. She carries her toys around whimpering. But she was at the vet a week and a half ago and they said she was in perfect health. She eats fine and sleeps fine, likes going for walks, but something is different in her. It's making me insane that I can't do anything without her right there. She was much more independent even just a few weeks ago. I hope she's not going into heat already. I just called the vet yesterday to set up a spay appointment, I'd really like to get it done before she has a heat as, sadly, I don't trust OH to be as vigilant about making sure she doesn't get man puppy loving.

You crack me up! 

It might be that age too...Around 6 months old they start acting like teenagers.  Nikko still misbehaves.  A week does not go by where he does not destroy something.  He likes to rip up bills laying on the desk.

She is so obnoxious! There are two rooms upstairs that she is not allowed to go in. They are large and carpeted, and I'd rather her not be ripping up carpet with her feet/teeth, so they are off limits. She will occasionally sneak in when I am up there getting something from the closet, and she goes absolutely nutso. She would NOT get out this morning, and would NOT let me grab her, and I needed to go to work and was tired of chasing her, but can't leave her up there because she will eat the carpet, so I got down on all fours and barked her into submission. I am not proud of myself, but it worked. :) I think she was more "wtf?" than being submissive, but hey, you do what you gotta do.

Praying for no pee today! I need a drink!

You definitely have your hands full with her, that is for sure!  Nikko is my problem child LOL.  If he does not want to go somewhere he will run from me and hide under the coffee table or desk.  He wants me to chase him around.  But there are times where he is the most well behaved dog! 

OH got home and said her cage was dry! And she didn't try to take down my ghetto crate divider. So I'm not sure if it was taking up her water earlier that helped, or making her crate smaller, but I'll just keep doing both. 

YAY!  When mine were younger I would make sure they did not drink too much because I was always afraid of them peeing their crates.  And at night the water would go up at 8