How Soon For Another Husky?

love4Luna

OK, I know Luna is still a tiny baby (13 weeks tomorrow). But I've always known that I've want just more than one husky. How long is best before getting Luna a buddy?

Also note, she is a very dominate/alpha dog. We've had full grown large breeds submissive towards her at obedience class. Trainer even said she is a strong dominate.

I would recommend having Luna trained how you want her before introducing a second husky.  It would be very difficult to train 2 puppies that are on different training schedules!  I waited until Nikko was done with all 3 classes before I got Yukon and it worked out well for me.  Nikko was about 9 months old when I got Yukon. 

Okay, I was kind of thinking of when Luna was between 9 months to a year old... I really do want all of her obedience training finished first. I just feel bad for her. My rat terrier Isabella is 6 years old and a total prude. Isabella would rather sleep all day than play, not interested whatsoever in anything to do with Luna. Just growls "leave me alone", then tucks her head back under her butt... :(

I agree with everyone else! Also you might want to consider rescuing an older one. My foster is like 4 and he's done great with my one year old. That way you skip the training for your second and an older one helps the younger learn the ropes per say.

i agree with what everyone has already said i had a 16 month old staffie when we got diva and then when diva was 9 months we got a 1 year old staffie called milli and then the june of the same year we got leyka very hard work lol  xx

Okay, I was kind of thinking of when Luna was between 9 months to a year old... I really do want all of her obedience training finished first. I just feel bad for her. My rat terrier Isabella is 6 years old and a total prude. Isabella would rather sleep all day than play, not interested whatsoever in anything to do with Luna. Just growls "leave me alone", then tucks her head back under her butt... :(

aww I know how you feel, Diamond is an only dog so sometimes I feel bad for him because he has no four-legged friends to play with at home :( but maybe you can set up a play date with other husky owners around you? Or any other mid-sized to large-sized breed? because I do think you need to wait until she's a little older if you want a second husky :) 

aww I know how you feel, Diamond is an only dog so sometimes I feel bad for him because he has no four-legged friends to play with at home :( but maybe you can set up a play date with other husky owners around you? Or any other mid-sized to large-sized breed? because I do think you need to wait until she's a little older if you want a second husky :)

Oh I'm definitely waiting. Funds are not here after her nightmare of vet visits right after we got her. I prolly won't even start looking (OK, SERIOUSLY LOOKING) until about this time next year....

I would recommend having Luna trained how you want her before introducing a second husky.  It would be very difficult to train 2 puppies that are on different training schedules!  I waited until Nikko was done with all 3 classes before I got Yukon and it worked out well for me.  Nikko was about 9 months old when I got Yukon. 

Bravo!! Wonderful advice!! please listen and follow this; you won't be disappointed this is real wisdom! I couldn't say it better!

Fr. Carmen OFM

I have to agree with the make sure your pup is training to how you want until getting another :) It was hard enough bringing Skye in and training her whilst meeting Shadows needs let alone doing it with TWO puppies :o