Will It Ever Stop??

a7xAda

Hurley started blowing her coat about 2 weeks ago. I have been brushing her about 2 times a day since it started, with both a slicker and a furminator. The fur just keeps coming!! LIttle fur-mice and fur-bunnies all over the house! I vacuum and then no more that 10 minutes later, I find fresh clumps on my freshly vacuumed carpets!

As this is my first time going through the fur blowout, how long does it typically last? Is there anything besides brushing that will get the access fur off of her faster?

It won't stop until every part of your house has a layer of hair. :P

My Thor's been blowing ever since i got him and that's 2 years now lol

Linda, you had Thor when we joined the forum 3 years ago. . . old age. . . memory loss. . . :P

It won't stop until every part of your house has a layer of hair. :P

So it will stop if I quit vacuuming and let the fur take over? The resume vacuuming when the blowing stops? Or will the vacuum jump start the cycle?

Major blow-outs occur late winter through mid spring and again late summer through late fall early winter in my fur babies. brushing and a good bath do help to get the major amount off but expect to find "tufts" even after the bath and brush routine. Since the changes between the seasons are not abrupt there is some light shedding for a short time between the major moults. Again this is strictly for my fur babies, your weather and lighting conditions may be very different than mine and those differences, however slight, will affect the duration and intensity of the moult. Good Luck! My solution was to get a spinning wheel a pair of hand cards and a book and learned to spin the fiber into yarn. If your "craftsy" you may find that solution appealing . . .

all the best!!

Carmen OFM        :wolf:  :sheep:  :wolf:

Juno blows her undercoat twice a year,  but last summer being so hot she never really stopped,  I thought she was going to be naked before long  LOL   but it was super thin and a lot of her black fun was then looking near white in areas,  as for the carpet,  I vac twice a week,  it always needs it, its just part of being owned by a husky, and after awhile you wouldnt even see it   LOL   My sister comes to visit and she said omg when is the last time you ran the vac,   I told her, she said no way, I said would you care to let Juno visit at your place for a week then you can talk to me about it, LOL   but you know,  I wouldnt have it any other way  : )

Hurley does tend to shed yearly, but not a whole lot. Not like this. I thought about bathing her with a deshedding shampoo and rinsing the fur off of her, then brushing, but I don't want to aggitate her skin. Took me too long to get her skin healthy after her allergic reaction to grains.

But as this is my first time going through the undercoat blowout, I wasn't really sure what to expect. My husband is always griping at me about the fur everywhere and I'm just thinking, he's the one that wanted a husky. I got the dog for him lol

leyka started january and i can still pull tufts from round the base of her tail 

divas just getting going lol