Walking In Summer

I have huge problems with this.

People always say early in morning or in evenings.

BUT I have young kids and I cannot leave them in the house on their own to walk the dogs.

School run is 8:30am and by this time its warming up.

I cannot walk at night 3 nights a week im at work till 10pm and alex cant walk them as hes got the kids.

so what on earth am i supposed to do?  :wacko:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I walk Polee and Deifen at about 8.00 - 8.30 am as it's generally cool enough for them here.  If you have a wooded area nearby that would also be a bit cooler than an open area

only catch with that is i cannot walk all 3 on a school run lol. its hard enough holding on to 3 dogs without having a child to watch too :/

Yeah just take water with you and find shade :) You can even still go on the field to protect their paws from the sun they wont need much walking as it will be warm anyway, i still take mine out yeah it is a bit earlier but its already warm at 8 i just take water but i have noticed they aren't wanting to go as far :)

even im not that brave! i did it once in the field but my backs been playing up lately.

Lol i know i am not sure i could although i may be able to on the walking belt but dont think i would enjoy it!

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem, so have been doing lots of play in the garden during the day and have been giving them lots of treats with ice to play with to cool them down. I have also been playing fetch in the house with Teo, Mia doesn't play fetch but chasing Teo whilst he runs after the ball!!

I do my walks at 6am and after work at 6pm 15 min for each and then they get more walks by OH at around 9pm for 30 minutes a total of an hour a day. But starting tomorrow i work earlier so both my walks will be at 5. On the weekends I usually just walk them in the afternoon though. If it is really hot ill stick to grassy areas and keep the walks to around 15 min at a time.

I walk all 3 of mine at once and I just have the regular leash with a traffic handle! Some days are harder than others tho. Especially since Yukon waits until our walk to poop! Try picking up poo while holding 3 huskies that want to chase a squirrel!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been followed too many times if I go too late at night, even WITH having the dogs I've had a couple suspicious people try to walk with me, and also a couple times in the morning I've seen people following me, only going away when I stop by my workplace for a while until I see them gone. Unfortunately my workplace has pretty short hours and since I can't stop in there at 8pm or risk something happening to me or the pups, I go in the afternoon and I always have a gallon water jug container full of ice/water that I carry with me as well as a fold-out dish and I stop every 20 minutes or so for them to drink. Then about halfway through our walk we get to my workplace which we chill in the air for a while while the pups get cuddles and socialization, and then we finish our walk.

It wil be near 100 degrees here by the end of the week. I usually only walk the huskies in the am and then walk the huskies and schnauzers in the evenings. I am blessed that I can walk all 4 of mine on my own, on 2 tandem leashes.... I try to stay on the grass as much as possible but I can't all the time. Is there something I could put on their paws to help protect them from the hot pavement. 

It wil be near 100 degrees here by the end of the week. I usually only walk the huskies in the am and then walk the huskies and schnauzers in the evenings. I am blessed that I can walk all 4 of mine on my own, on 2 tandem leashes.... I try to stay on the grass as much as possible but I can't all the time. Is there something I could put on their paws to help protect them from the hot pavement. 

I use Musher's Secret on my pups paws since they walk on sidewalk.