Walking In Summer

how far should i be walking my 11 week old pup at the moment?

ive read the 5 minutes per month rule and have been tryign to stick to this 3 maybe 4 times a day.

is this case for husky's or can they have more?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much is too much ?  We don't do a morning walk but usually about 12ish we're out for about an hour,  pavement and park, then about 7 or 8 at night for another hour,  does this sound ok ?  (I would do a morning walk but he's lazy in the mornings lol) 

I would stick to that rule when they are that young.  You can do multiple walks per day, but each one shouldn't be longer than about 20 min in your case

ive read the 5 minutes per month rule and have been tryign to stick to this 3 maybe 4 times a day.

Sometimes when it's really hot and we have to leave later we take turns as in I go out with Ice first and when I get back Paul goes out with Bear and (Brooke if she's up to it).  Provided they're not exercising in the hottest parts between 11-3 then unless it's a seriously hot day mine are usually fine. They just get a shorter walk and plenty to drink, when it's hot they generally don't want to go far anyway, prefer to lounge around chilling out.  No complaints here! 

On the nights you're working, could a family member help out on the days it's really hot by child sitting or dog walking so that Alex can do the other part?  And on days it's not so hot, just give them a shorter walk before you go to work?  Maybe you could use a flexi lead round field at the end of your garden to  help them wear themselves out without you actually having to stray too far from the house.  Otherwise not so sure, is your son old and strong enough to help out with one of the dogs?  running out of ideas now......

Definitely stick to the 5 minutes per month rule. Just because a husky is a high energy dog doesn't mean they get more exercise than normal puppies, they're still puppies and since they are so young you need to be careful as to not over-exert them. :)