Bereavement Leave

goingsolo

On breakfast this morning was lady who's 23month old son had tragically died in a garden pond. Her name is Lucy herd and she is campaigning for legislation to increase bereavement entitlement from work. As it stands you can have 3 days off work 1 of which includes the funeral. 3 days to get over the loss of your child. Disgusted isn't the word. Can I please ask my friends here to look at and sign the petition. Thanks.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41330

Voted.  I have personal experience of this when I was being told I had too much personal leave in a year.  3.5 days.  I ask which of the days I should have not taken off:  the day my father died, the day I had to register his death and the day of his funeral plus 3 hours to make the necessary arrangements needed.  Got a blank response and at that point I decided to change jobs.  Employer was really shocked when a few weeks later I handed in my resignation.  It was a very short two line letter.

wow, it's hard to believe that some firms see 3 days, including the funeral as an acceptable length of time, I took a few weeks off when Dad died & A friend of mine was off for a few months when her Mum died, with phased return to work too, all on full pay so I see we are extremely lucky with our employer

As a mother who has lost one child, it took me many months to really get back to feeling even slightly normal, and it took over a year for me to really get on with my life. I wasn't working though so I had a lot of time to grieve and sort myself out. But my husband got fired because he was grieving and took off more time than what his work allowed him, it was only a few days I think. He did get his job back after a couple of months and the supervisors and main boss apologized for firing him because of the circumstances.. I bet they wouldn't have given him his job back if it had been any other family member though, which is sad to say..

But I definitely think that personal time off for the loss of a child, parent, sibling, or any other family member should be more than 3 days.

Thank you.. It has been a tough road, and it has been almost 4 years since we lost our daughter, even though it feels like much more time has passed than that.

I also read the petition and I saw that there was a part that said women get 12 months off for maternity leave? That's interesting to me. It would just make sense to give 12 months bereavement leave to those families who have lost a child, or who have lost a very close family member. 

I hope this petition works out and gets the bereavement leave increased.