Removing Ticks

huskylynz

Suki has got a tick, I've made an appointment at vets to get it out but was wondering what you guys do if yours have ever had one? Pip got one last year and I took it out with tweezers but it got infected so don't want to do that again. I now use flea treatments that protect against ticks too on Shadow and pip but Suki's was a puppy flea treatment and I don't think it did ticks.

Any of you removed a tick yourself or you go to vets?

diva had a tick once my sister used tweezers to get it off, ive also been told that smoothering it in washing up liquid or vaseline gets them off xx

I use a special set of tweezers...and I must say they have started early this year with us have removed a fair few already and that is with use frontline as well....

Sasha has had bush ticks when we first moved into our place I used my nails to get them out there were about 10-15 of them mainly on her paws and a few on her face and took her to the vet pretty much straight after because I wasn't sure if they were bush ticks or paralyses ticks. As said above though when taking them off you have to make sure you remove the head and nipper things they attach themselves on with (sorry not sure what they call them) as they can still release there toxins (if there paralyses ticks). I asked the vet about removing them and they said your better off using the tool or taking them in.

Ours get ticks from time to time.  I learned how to remove ticks when I was a Boy Scout.  Use my thumb and forefinger and pinch the little guy out, and it's done.  There is a bit of a trick to make sure you get the head out.  If you are not sure or don't want to mess with it, the special tool is the way to go.

I use fingernails - yeh, mine are normally long enough to do the job.

Tweezers are generally the last thing you want to use since the, normally, flat sides of the tweezers will squeeze into the dog all the stuff you're trying to not get into them.

I was taught how to do it properly with tweezers on horses when I was a kid, but I've got the little tool to remove them now, really easy :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Frenchie, do tell .... how do you use tweezers correctly to get them off? (( that is not sarcasm, I'm seriously interested. ))

I use my finger nails and if its real deep i use a cotton ball with alcohol on it..they have came out so early this year! i have found many crawling on my dogs over the past week..can not wait to get their pills in this weekend