Husky Wont Stop Coughing - At Wits End...help Please

yooperdude

We picked up a husky mix (husky and basset hound...looks like a husky though) six weeks ago from a local shelter.  She was fine for two days and developed a problem breathing through her nose.  She would try to keep her head up at bed time, start to fall asleep then bob her head up again because she closed her mouth and her nose was stuffed up.  She also had white discharge from her eye.  Took her to the vet and she prescribed an antibiotic and cough suppressant (hydrocodone),  After two weeks, there was slight improvement.  Took her back and they gave her a different antibiotic (a bactrin type) and continued the suppressant.  A week later she seemed fine.  We were just to the last two antibiotic pills, when she relapsed and got worse than she initially was and the eye discharge had also worsened.  Took her back and they changed the antibiotic.  After a week, no change.  Took her back again, and they prescribed doxycycline antibiotic and a steroid-antihistimine (Temaril-P).  Basically, they said they have no idea what is wrong, and the next step is to give a different special order antibiotic.  If that does not work they said "some dogs and cats get respiratory issues that they just have to live with".  This came from two different vets at the clinic.  I find that hard to swallow.  They said her lungs are clear.  She is still stuffed up and coughng and snoring terribly.  She also snorts when she drinks water.  I hate to see this puppy (1 year old) suffer...just breaks my heart.  Any advice would be appreciated.  We live in a rural area, so there are not too many vets in the area.  Next closest is about 200 miles away.  Thanks so much!

post-10387-0-72075500-1368201174_thumb.j

Did they take a sample of the discharge from both the eyes and the nose, and check them for bacteria?  Antibiotics won't make a difference if the cause is viral and not bacterial.

Is there another vet clinic you could take your dog to, for a fresh look?  From what you've described, it sure sounds like kennel cough.  But then again, it could be something else altogether.

Did they take your dog's temp?  Was it normal?

I would not give any human drugs to your dog, unless you verify with your vet.  The dosage rates can be dramatically different, and some may be harmful at any dosage.  We give one of ours Benadryl, twice daily, for alergies.  The dosage is higher than for a human, because the drug does not absorb as readily in a dog as it does a human.  The dosage was determined by our vet.

Sorry...forgot that we also gave her two Benadryl tablets per the vet twice daily with no change.  They did not take any samples at all.  Not sure that they have the resources to do that.  As I said, the closest vet clinic is 200 miles away.  If she does not improve in the next two weeks, we may have to plan a trip.

If they don't have the resources to take a simple sample...than it doesn't sound like they are a good vet. But, if they are your only option (and the other one is 200 miles away), then...well...

Take her to the closer vet, ask to have samples done. If they can't/won't do it...then you'll have to take her to the other (200 miles away) vet. 

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:
Thanks for all of the help.  After talking to a different vet at the same clinic, he prescribed a stronger antibiotic, a steroid and eye antibiotic.  After another two weeks, she seems to be cleared up.  Hopefully, she will stay well this time.

I certainly hope she continues to improve.  All the animals and myself just went through upper respitory infections.  We were all sick at the same time.  I understand the frustration.  We were changing antibiotics and medications as well.  A beautiful girl by the way!

Already been posted and diagnosed but I would have said Kennel cough as well. My little guy had it once and I get the vaccine now as we frequent a local dog park. It's probably due to the shelter but for future reference if your dog is going to be in contact with many others looking into the vaccine for kennel cough is highly reccomended. I read it doesnt take much to pass the virus from dog to dog and it'll save you some $$$ in the future.