Team Leader Progress Thread

Stormy

Hey all, 

I thought i would make a thread on my progress and my journey to becoming a team leader at Sainsburys :) I will update this thread only rather than keep making new ones :) 

Team leader induction day:

Today we had our first "course" which was more of a get to know the others on the course which there are 12 of us all together all in whats called area 83 which is Wakefield, Barnsley, Grimsby, Sheffield sort of way! Everyone seems really nice :)

The aim of today was to describe our job roles and make sure we know what they are, our job role is to run the store and to take accountability in the absence of the store manager. There is also alot more to it but i wont bore you all with that :) Basically we are management just one below store manager the only difference between us and the store manager is the store manager has to plan more into the future of the long term and they take full accountability for the store at all times.

They also explained to us what we will be doing in the next 12 weeks which is ALOT and there is a course pretty much every week except i have already done my PLH (personal licence) and first aid so i do not need to do these again. Along with these courses is instore training so it is going to be quite intense! They said to us there will be highs and there will be lows it is completely normal and the aim by us all being in one group on these courses is that we get to know each other and help each other there and also some people to speak to out of work :) 

We all had to write on a big piece of paper some things about ourselves and how long we had worked for sainsburys etc... i of course wrote a bit about the huskies and how i am part of husky owners :) 

The aim is to be finished and signed off within 12 weeks then we are on our own pretty much... they explained something to us which made alot of sense in the difference between team leaders in convenience (me) and team leaders in the big supermarkets. There is a major difference, team leaders in supermarkets have higher up people to go to at all times if people kick off or if people shout at them they have back up there and then... in convenience it is US and US only we have to deal with it. Also team leaders in supermarkets run a department only they do not hold responsibility in opening stores or closing stores which us in convenience do. We do a bit of everything in convenience basically we work colleague rotas, pay roll, disciplinarys, planning of the stores, promotion changes etc etc there is alot but im sure ill learn more along the way! 

They also explained that the next step up we can go a couple of ways we can go for deputy manager in a supermarket or stay in convenience and go for a store manager role which really is not alot different to what we will be doing but again even more responsibility, this is my aim for the future :)

So from now on begins my journey to becoming a Team leader! Sorry to bore you with it all but i will keep updating this as i go along as it will be a great place for me to vent when im getting stressed about it or feeling down if things aren't going so well or to shout about what is going really well :) As they did advise to us to have a place to talk about it all as it will be very intense :)

So thanks for listening in advance :) 

Well not the best of starts went into the old store today to speak to the manager to get my folder etc :) anyway he rang up the store im going to to see if we could find out what the rota is and when i will be working! Well ... no rota has been done and my new manager is apparently on holiday until Tuesday!!! ( I was meant to be starting this sunday! ) ...

So Anthony (old manager) has said not to go in on the Sunday and to start on the Monday do a middle shift (so a 9 - 5 sort of thing) so i can then meet two different team leaders, shadow them in their jobs, get to know the store and actually make a start on what i need to do :)

Alot of yesterday they said about how we are going to need to push our managers etc as some may just not know alot about the scheme to push it themselves or some just dont care. I dont think its that Chris (new manager) does not care i think its a case of bad timing and him not getting himself sorted for me to start!! I remember working with him before you do have to remind him of things alot so i can imagine i am going to have to push him to get things done alot but there are alot of positives to working with him also! It will be noted that he has not bothered to do my Rota and this will go against him but it is not on, Anthony is our sponsor and he is also the go to guy if our managers are not stepping up to the mark so atleast i know i have someone who will be at the store down the road from my house to go to if Chris is not pulling his weight lol worse comes to worse they will move you if your managers are seriously useless but i think Chris will be fine once we have had a chat and made some sort of plan on how i am going to get this 12 weeks course done!

So yeah was slightly annoyed about that and glad i went in to speak to Anthony or i would have just turned up at some point sunday and not known what the hell to do! lol

We have big folders for ours which ill keep a close eye on! I have maximum 26 weeks to complete the course though i would prefer to do it in 12 weeks but it means we are under less pressure and that we wont fail if the 12 weeks comes by and it is not all done. 

Although looking at everything i believe in myself that i can get it all done by 12 weeks its just aslong as Chris sorts himself out! lol

Is my first shift today as a team leader in training I'm on a late so 3-11 little bit nervous as not sure what ill be doing really but will be good :)

Getting a couple more hours sleep now so that I'm not to nackered later!

Thanks :D Yeah i hope it does to sure all will be fine and after today i'll know what im doing a bit more! The first day is always the worst but i always seem to find i come away after it feeling happy and wondering why i got nervous in the first place!

Went on the second course today which was called "Scout Hut" where we learned about the company values and how to demonstrate them ourselves. Also about the history of the company and what their aim is which is called "2020 Vision". We also did a few team excersizes where we were split into groups etc one was walking round some cones in certain ways but the point of it was whether we would take all the instructions for it before doing it or just go for it. That probably wont make sense to you but i cannot think of how to explain it realy other than basically in work would we take all the info we could get or just go for things with no info the answer was in between really!

Another one was to build something to drop an egg onto and with height but keeping costs down. Ours worked but we weren't the highest we came 2nd out of 3 teams.

Another was to build a ball they took 2 people outside and sent them back in to instruct us in what to do.

Was all to do with working as a team etc etc

I enjoyed it was a long day and i seem to feel more tired sitting in a class room than i do at work!

On an Early shift tomorrow (6 till 3) so up at about 5 lovely! lol

• 3 weeks later...

Hey into week 3 of my training now which doesn't seem alot but only 8 weeks left!

Been concentrating on the early shifts as they are the hardest to run as alot of safe and legal to learn. Have got these pretty much perfect now :) and next week I'm going to be running a shift myself (with manager there but in the background) and will then get feedback on how I do and also from colleagues to. Beginning of July is the aim for me to be running shifts on my own completely.

I have been extremely lucky with my manager as speaking to others on the same course hardly anyone has got anything done and they are still being used as colleagues which is preventing them from progressing (managers aren't meant to be doing this!) the 2 learning at my old store are having quite alot of issues unfortunately so I am glad I moved!

Anyway not alot else for me to report here other than I've been on earlys mostly to get that perfect so have been very tired and falling asleep most nights lol