Head/ear Shaking + Scratching - Vet Appt Today Looking For Opinions

jonnyc4t

Long time since I have been here but this website over the years has been more helpful than any vet I have ever talked to.

Last night right before my 2 1/2 year old Husky Odin and I finished our walk he started stopping to scratch his ear and just shaking his head like he was trying to get at an itch or perhaps something out of his ear. Keep in mind he was PERFECTLY fine prior to this walk. When we walk he listens to me so I am able to keep him off leash - all of the areas I take him to are open fields or old cranberry bogs so he runs through the woods and such. I woke up this morning and he was still doing it before I left for work.

Let me also tell you the local vet I take him to is horrendous. Throughout the years I have spent ~13,000 at this vet on Odin -as a puppy he got deathly ill from eating a mushroom at 10 weeks old and ever since then at the sign of ANYTHING at all going wrong (even diarrhea) I am at the vet paying their bills.

What I am wondering is if you all think I should take him there again tonight (I have an appointment scheduled) for them to charge me another $200 and then tell me "I don't know what it is, here take this medicine" or if I should wait it out. I am trying not to jump over to the vet as fast as I have in the past as it has killed my wallet...but I am a worrier and there is nothing worse than seeing your pet in discomfort and not being able to ask them what is wrong. Maybe I am just crazy!

Hold all of the "find a new vet" stuff until I get some input as I know I need to find a new one but unfortunately the one that I go to is a chain that has boughten up all of the smaller vets around me. :(

Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: No redness, no discharge, no ear wax, his ears look very clean.

post-2994-0-77301100-1368721766_thumb.jp

How strange :S I would normally say perhaps an ear infection if he carrys on over the next half a day to a day i would then take him to the vets as he could have even got something stuck in there on the walk maybe?

How strange :S I would normally say perhaps an ear infection if he carrys on over the next half a day to a day i would then take him to the vets as he could have even got something stuck in there on the walk maybe?

I am going to try and get some of that ear cleaner stuff from my local pet store and see if theres ear eax build up that I cannot see. Maybe it got lodged or something while he was running, I have no idea!

I did a search and it looks like someone was having a similar issue that was diagnosed as an ear infection.

This happened to Nikko a few months ago, I noticed him shaking his head and scratching at his ear, and he yelped when you messed with his ear.  It looked ok at first, and then got very bad very quickly.  Just about 12 hours after I noticed him doing that I looked in his ear with a flashlight and noticed a lot of what looked like dirt inside.  I got some ear rinse and used a cotton ball and got a bunch of gunk out of his ear.  About 12 hours after I did that, it got worse, and when we woke up he had major discharge, a brownish color.  I took him to the vet that evening and he had a severe ear infection.

I would just keep an eye on it, but play with his ear and if it looks like he is in pain then I would go to the vet.  I would agree to get some ear rinse and clean it out too, it might just be some dirt.

When I was living at home our family dog, a collie cross shook her head and scratched at her ear a lot. My parents didn't rush her to the vet as there didn't appear ti be any infection in her ear. So after qa couple of days my mum decided she better take her.......The dog had to have an operation as the constant shaking, which was due to an inner ear infection, had burst a blood vessel and had to be drained of blood. The dog was fine, but the bleed had caused damage to the cartilage in her ear which resulted in her ear no longer standing up, she had one up and one down ear from that day on!

I would advice taking him to the vet as although you cannot see anything wrong you cannot be sure what is going on inside

Watch how much he scratches as he can give himself a nasty hematoma! My dog's ear no longer stands due to excessive scratching. But of course you still got to find out why (just advice for while you are investigating)

Does your dog chew on his feet or have dry skin? Aside from the scratching to his ears, does he scratch anywhere else?

If you dog has a ear infection caused by yeast, I am told by a couple of vets it can be due to an allergy. Has your dog ever demonstrated potential reactions to certain environmental things or foods?

• 2 weeks later...

My boy had no ear wax redness or anything but was doing the same ended up with an ear infection , would get it checked out

It was a staph infection. He's been on drops since last Saturday, almost cleared up but still shaking his head a bit. Hopefully I won't need a recheck.

Thanks again everyone, as usual this is such a wonderful community!

It was a staph infection. He's been on drops since last Saturday, almost cleared up but still shaking his head a bit. Hopefully I won't need a recheck.

my vet booked us in for a check up after a week but because he was fine i cancelled it , he will probaby be fine 

Glad to hear he's doing better. :up: