To Be A Pack !

sarahjng

Didn't think I would even consider this but here I am asking the question.  Is it better/harder/easier with a second dog ? Bear is 8 months now and although he is a PITA I can't imagine life without him, my other half raised the question of perhaps we should get a second husky as Bear is behaving and will now  `go` outdoors etc.  I'm not so sure, I mean when I had my kids  I went by the rule of if I'm wiping one sticky mouth I can wipe two just as easily. Is a second dog half the work and twice the fun or do they encourage each other to be naughty ?  Advice tips warnings screams of don't do it anything appreciated

Two just as easy as one.

PLUS. . . .

They are company for each other.

Which means less time for them to be . . erm . . . mischevious.

Unless you have trained them to walk nicely you'll have twice the pulling.

second is deffo easier than one because they entertain and tire out each other. However, if your first dog's training is incomplete, he might teach the second dog (especially if the second is younger) how to misbehave x) Don't underestimate the power of teamwork LOL at 8 months old, I reckon Bear is still considered as a teenager. This is the period when dogs often forget their training and push their boundaries, so honestly I won't recommend to get a second dog right now. But I don't know your dog, so I can't really say...

Are you looking for a puppy or an adult? 

No idea to be honest,  should we get a female or a male,  at the moment this is all up in the air and very very hypothetical, if we get another male older than bear  we could have dominance issues a female might be easier.  As I said this is very much a first thought, it took months to go from should we to actually getting bear he could well be a full grown adult before we get another one ! 

I think maybe you should wait until Bear is a little more older, that way you'll know for sure he is at the training/obedience level you want him to be. 

And don't forget to factor in financial costs: adding a 2nd dog will cost you double when it comes to food, vet costs, etc. Would you have enough time for a 2nd one? If they cannot be walked together (it has happened), you would have to walk them separately...therefore costing you more time..

Personally, if I were in your position, I would adopt instead of getting a puppy. There are several advantages to this, besides giving a dog a 2nd chance:

1. You'll know if they are compatible (dominance levels, etc). When you get it as a puppy, you have no idea what it will be like...and by then it may be too late.

2. You'll already know their personality (laidback or hyper, playful or not, etc), so you'll be able to judge if they are compatible with Bear.

3. You'll skip the puppy stage - I've heard its very hard to care for 2 puppies at once. After all - Bear is still a puppy!

4. If the adopted dog is BETTER behaved than Bear, than his behaviour may rub off on Bear. Or, vice versa...

we could have dominance issues a female might be easier. 

Ha! My female needs to have control over EVERYTHING and my male is a laid back laa-dee-daa. I am proud to say Dexter has finally been allowed to lift his leg when he pee's because Meeka has decided she will allow it. ( she used to nip him so he would squat, poor guy)