New To This.

foxierox

Hello everyone, I am Sarah and the proud owner of 8 month old Nico.

He is a charming handsome man with all the love in the world to give. He is great with the kids and loves to go out running.

Recently though i've noticed that he's a bit thinner and is now refusing to eat dog food. I've tried all types incase he's gone off the taste or texture but he still refuses to eat.

He will happily eat chew sticks treats and chicken but this is all he will eat.

I was hoping as he is coming of age he grow into a larger appetite but I'm scared he's getting used to not eating and may find it difficult to get back into a routine. I know huskys are famous for being fussy, when Nico is around my mums collie Cotton, he eats her dinner but won't eat at his own house, do you think nico is lonely and needs company or am I over reacting?

Hi and welcome :D

Huskies are fussy but you;ll find the more you change the food the fussier they'll get (stubborn buggers lol)

Try one dog food and stick with it - leave it down for 10 mins if he doesn't eat it then remove the bowl and don't give any treats etc until his next meal time - he will learn eventually that food is only available when the bowl is down xx

This is a pic of Nico. I have tried the feeding time routine but still he goes without. How long should I keep it up?

Until he realizes that you're training him not the other way round!  Husky's, as you're finding, can be smart (too damn smart for their own good!) and manipulative as all get out!

You comment that he's getting thinner, at 8 months, you may just be seeing the result of a growth spurt - growing up not out - if that's the case he should fill out withing the next couple of months.  And some "rolly polly" puppies grow up to be sveldt adults ... if he's in otherwise good health I wouldn't be overly concerned on either the thinness or not eating yet.  Give him the same food for three to four days and he should decide to eat right.

ah, another fussy eater. Never fun when the fur baby refuses to eat :( my boy Diamond has been like that since he's 1 and now he's 4 he's still refusing to eat sometimes  <_< I agree with what Sarah and Al said though you need to keep it up until he learns you're the one making the rules xxx 

welcome to our big husky family btw! :D Nico is a handsome baby  :D

Welcome to the pack ..  Nico will soon let u know when he`s hungry.........  as has been said before ... leave down for 10 mins then pick up again .... do u use dry food ????????  try adding tinned sardines in oil ... or an egg mixed in ... he maybe bored with the food he`s getting ... good luck 

Welcome to the forum...

Both mine go through days where they wont eat, and like said before, 10 mins down and if they still dont eat away it goes, along with any bones etc they may have lying around.

Parker is really stubborn and has gone couple of days especially if its hot out side, and if he is also blowing his coat....They wont starve themselves :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello and Welcome!

This is a problem that plagued us when we got our second pup Damian, Nika wouldn't touch her food unless Damian was trying to get it.

You've just gotta play it tough, let them know that if they don't eat it while it's down, then they go hungry. It sounds harsh, but it works quick. Or if you're worried, and Nico's stomach is iron clad, very VERY watery gravy might help, or egg as was previously mentioned :)