A Bit Of Anxiety, Need Advice Please

Christine0925

Ok, so Meeka and Dexter have never been able to roam free so they have always gone on walks. I would make sure to do it every day if not twice or 3x a day. Meeka is wonderful on a leash by herself, however with Dexter she gets aggravated because he is constantly pulling and squirmy and it makes her walks unpleasant. Dexter squirms out of EVERYTHING. Collars, harnesses, he breaks leads, he gets spurts of energy where he wigs out, and he is SO STRONG. He gets real low to the ground and pulls as hard as he can. if you walk past our house to go for a further walk the other way he will put the breaks on and REFUSE to go.

Now that we have the fence up they get to run around and they dont stop. I know I still have to take them on walks but I tried the other day and made it to the bottom on the driveway. I thought they were exhausted from playing all day and not taking one nap but they were BOTH pulling and excited and it for some reason I just got so nervous if they were to get loose.

I KNOW they still need walks- Do you think separately is the way to go? They usually go beserk when the other one isn't around. Howling like mad so I try not to do it often.

HELP! 

I do think Dexter needs some one-on-one sessions. If he doesn't like walking alone, you can ask somebody else to walk Meeka while you hold Dexter. Does Dexter know the word "get up"? When Diamond refuses to walk (plunges his butt on the ground, won't move an inch!) I tell him "get up" and walk to his side, slowly guiding him to walk again. Make sure to reward every small step. If he's one of those dogs that would do anything for a piece of treat, then show the treat and call him. I won't say it will work wonders but every little step counts :) there are many harnesses that is said to reduce pulling... can't really say though as Diamond never used a harness. Good luck and keep us updated :D I am still struggling with the "husky brakes" thing as well, so if you found something that works please let me know xxx

Have you tried a non pull harness or head collar? I use a walkyourdogwithlove harness on blaze and a semi-slip collar hooked up with a double ended lead n he used to be a nightmare on walks now I can have him walking nicely by my side or walking calmly infront even if the others play up (mainly bings when he sees another dog) I can keep blaze under control n calm , I couldn't do that with a normal harness or collar and he hasn't been able to escape them despite trying

I would get a semi slip collar so he can't get out also ever a halti or front facing harness to help with a double ended lead so if he slips one he won't be able to run off. My boy is a houndi so he goes on a double ended when with the others. I would work with them one on one even if it just out the front to help learn them to walk nicely.

I agree, Harness and collar both attached by a police lead.

One clip on the collar and another on the harness

nylonpolicelead.jpg

I do think Dexter needs some one-on-one sessions. If he doesn't like walking alone, you can ask somebody else to walk Meeka while you hold Dexter. Does Dexter know the word "get up"? When Diamond refuses to walk (plunges his butt on the ground, won't move an inch!) I tell him "get up" and walk to his side, slowly guiding him to walk again. Make sure to reward every small step. If he's one of those dogs that would do anything for a piece of treat, then show the treat and call him. I won't say it will work wonders but every little step counts :) there are many harnesses that is said to reduce pulling... can't really say though as Diamond never used a harness. Good luck and keep us updated :D I am still struggling with the "husky brakes" thing as well, so if you found something that works please let me know xxx

Meeka is my food motivated one- Dexter can care less About anything when he is throwing his stubborn fits.

Have you tried a non pull harness or head collar? I use a walkyourdogwithlove harness on blaze and a semi-slip collar hooked up with a double ended lead n he used to be a nightmare on walks now I can have him walking nicely by my side or walking calmly infront even if the others play up (mainly bings when he sees another dog) I can keep blaze under control n calm , I couldn't do that with a normal harness or collar and he hasn't been able to escape them despite trying

I've tried a non pull harness and he pulls hard on that- he wants to RUN he has no desire to calmly enjoy a walk like Meeka. I also tried a halti lead and I didn't even make it to the bottom of the driveway he was scratching at the part that goes on top of his nose and did his shrilly screaming protest fit. I will try the wydwl harness

I agree, Harness and collar both attached by a police lead.

One clip on the collar and another on the harness

nylonpolicelead.jpg

I'm going to try this as well- thank you all! I'm worried sick I'm not worried about him running away he has no desire to leave my side but I do fear cars and everything else :(