Bite Wounds

Jay

Nikko and Kodiak got into a scuffle over the water of all things. I didn't notice until now but Nikko got bit right near his neck. I can actually see a puncture wound. I know Kodiak has had all his shots, but should i be overly concerned? I cleaned it and its not bleeding. I'm going to keep an eye on it and if i see it getting bad ill ring the vet but wondering what anyone else thinks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have some neosporin ointment, might do well to apply to the wound. It will help with healing and abate infection to a degree. Hope it heals quickly.

Sounds like I'm on the right track then. I have been putting some Neosporin on it every few hours. It isn't bothering him at all so I will just watch to make sure it doesn't get infected.

If it's not bleeding and it's a clean wound - imho (there I go again) - you'd be better off leaving it alone.  It will heal quicker if it's open to the air and dry. 

"It's mine!"

"No it's not!"

"Yes it is!" (crunch)

"Okay, so it is ... "

A tiff over the water bowl just sounds like a little (I hate this word in this type of situation) dominance play.

If it's not bleeding and it's a clean wound - imho (there I go again) - you'd be better off leaving it alone. It will heal quicker if it's open to the air and dry.

"It's mine!"

"No it's not!"

"Yes it is!" (crunch)

"Okay, so it is ... "

A tiff over the water bowl just sounds like a little (I hate this word in this type of situation) dominance play.

Hmmm. Ill have to keep an eye on it. And they have been at it before. Nikko is very dominate. And so is Kodiak. We were outside and filling up the kiddie pool and they both wanted to stream of water.

What should I use to clean it? Just water?

see if you can get some hibiscrub from a chemist , if not ive used savlon first aid wash on a paw cut before (was a big gash) or maybe some salt water , see if u can get rock salt tho from a health shop as table salt is bleached

I'm going to do something I seldom do - basically that is to disagree.

If what you're describing as a simple puncture wound is simply that then, again imho, the best treatment is none.  Wounds of this nature heal from the outside in, they scab over and the healing takes place under the scab. Anything you do to a basically small wound exacerbates the tendency for it to become infected - you're removing or altering the natural protective layer under which the healing is taking place.

There are times when I've used an antibiotic ointment, but those were in cases / places where natural movement would crack the scab - and those cases have been rare.

If you're watching it to avoid infection and it remains uninfected (and it should) then this old curmudgeon really does suggest that you leave it alone and let nature run its course.

You know, Al must be older than me, because after reading his second post on this topic, I find myself in complete agreement with him.  Let it alone and let nature take its course.

Ok so no Neosporin or anything? Thanks! :). Ill just keep an eye on it

*I* wouldn't.  From the way you described it, I'm picturing a simple puncture wound ... no tear, just a hole.  If he goes swimming or gets it wet, I'd keep a closer eye on it because of organism in the water.  The body (human and canine) is a wondrous machine - if it's in general good health then little things like cutting ourselves with a knife or missing the nail with the hammer - while they hurt - it does a fantastic job of healing itself.

Good I just worry about them whenever the get injured or sick! And yeah it is a small hole, no tear that I can see. He did get wet yesterday before I discovered it

That's great to hear!

Yeah, usually for the small stuff like that...I just put on some sort of anti-bacterial spray on it (NEVER iodine anymore - I've learned the hard way it stains! Got a huge yellow stain on my floor now! :(), keep on watching it for signs of infection. It will heal by itself. :)

It looked a lot better this morning.  I can hardly tell it was there in the first place!  Man, they heal fast!  Just like with his ear infection, it was gone just as quickly as it appeared!

That's good to hear;  I don't mind someone telling me when I'm way out in left field, but sometimes I do get concerned about some of my suggestions since I'm not there to really see what we're talking about.

I understand being concerned about our "friends in fur" (( avalanche is beginning to concern me 'cause he needs more weight! )) but they did, somehow, manage to survive in the wild long before we and they became attached.

I agree, if it is just a simple puncture wound or a scrap id just leave it. Panda has had a few cuts here and there on his scruff/muzzle due to rough play, I only use Epsom salt and water to wipe it down. It will scab and fall off on its own.

I know what you mean!  I appreciate all advice that I get on this forum!  That's one of the reasons I love this forum is because we all can have different opinions and rarely do I ever see it go any further than that.  They are resiliant creatures tho!

That's good to hear;  I don't mind someone telling me when I'm way out in left field, but sometimes I do get concerned about some of my suggestions since I'm not there to really see what we're talking about.

I understand being concerned about our "friends in fur" (( avalanche is beginning to concern me 'cause he needs more weight! )) but they did, somehow, manage to survive in the wild long before we and they became attached.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring this thread back up - what would the signs of infection be and when would you say you're in the clear?

Cloud got bit by another dog and other than a couple scrapes on his face he is fine. I was going to go the route to just let it heal on its own, that's how I let my own bites heal before and any of my scrapes/bruises however of course to me my pups getting hurt and me getting hurt is completely different so I had to come running to the forum to check lol.

Sorry to bring this thread back up - what would the signs of infection be and when would you say you're in the clear?

Cloud got bit by another dog and other than a couple scrapes on his face he is fine. I was going to go the route to just let it heal on its own, that's how I let my own bites heal before and any of my scrapes/bruises however of course to me my pups getting hurt and me getting hurt is completely different so I had to come running to the forum to check lol.

is it bleeding? I don't really understand what "in the clear" means but I guess I'll reply just to bump this thread for the experts to see..