Tie Outs

ctrek01

I am new to this forum, and I know the title of this post can be disconcerting for many people.  However, we will be going on vacation to a cabin that allows us to bring our pets.  There is a large yard there that is not fenced and I really want to allow my dog Weyekin to roam around the back yard, but certainly do not trust him off leash.  Normally I walk or run with him, but I want the dogs to have a little fun while we are "camping".  Anyone have any recommendations for a tie out, and whether an in ground one will work, or would something attached to a tree be better?  

Thanks, 

Traditional ties outs depend on the dog.

Some dogs respect that they are tied to a rlatively solid object and stay put to the extent of the line.

Others wil yank and pull at the tie out until it comes out.

You can get metal cable, tie lines, then as you say attach them to a tree or perhaps the tow hook of your car.

Or some other immovable object in the garden.

Also could you post an introduction in the Introductions section.

Give us a bit of info about you and your dawg :)

Oh yeah, some pics won't go amiss either. :up:

I've used one with my husky while camping before and I preferred to tie it to a tree since he can't yank it out of the ground. I don't recommend leaving them on it for a long period of time though. I've used the metal cable ones that have like a plastic around it. Dunno if that makes any sense. Welcome to the forum, by the way! As Andy said - introduce yourself in the introduction section :)

Something else to consider.

An average tie out line is about 3 metres (9-10 feet)

however if you have a longer line than that, they can run and get up to a good speed before reaching the end.

With this in mind, if you plan on having a longer line then put them on a harness rather than attaching to the collar.

To save any injury to the neck.

Also the longer the line the more chance it has of getting wrapped up with and tangled with other objects in the garden.

I use a cork screw kind. It's 30 ft, and it is rated for 110+ pound dogs. Never have had any problem with it. 

and Misty pulled one of those put of the ground in a couple of hours!  Admitted it depends on the dog but when you have a breed that likes to pull and tug .... I replaced that with a trailer tiedown (app 60cm / 2ft into the ground).

For camping, I use a metal line between two trees.  Whatever you use, plan on spending time getting him untangled!

and Misty pulled one of those put of the ground in a couple of hours!  Admitted it depends on the dog but when you have a breed that likes to pull and tug .... I replaced that with a trailer tiedown (app 60cm / 2ft into the ground).

For camping, I use a metal line between two trees.  Whatever you use, plan on spending time getting him untangled!

Yeah, I'd admit Suka is one of those dogs that doesn't pull on his tie-out...he knows how far it stretches, and he doesn't even try to go beyond that point.