Ever Feel Like You Can't Trust Anyone With Your Dogs?

NicTurtle

Long story short, I was with my family at a birthday party. My nephew was at my house and let the dogs in without closing my daughter's bedroom door. His girlfriend heard squealing and ran in to find one of the dogs after my daughter's guinea pigs. She was afraid of the dog so she ran outside to get my nephew instead of stopping the dog. Ugh! I wish I had been home!

We are minus two guinea pigs and have a sad little girl. And I hate when the dogs are just being dogs and get everyone worked up and angry at them for doing what comes naturally. Its just a lose, lose, lose situation. And I want to teach "How not to be afraid of dogs" classes.  :(

I'm sorry. :( And I agree, there should be a class on how not to be afraid of dogs. I have people all the time that are skittish around mine, nearly plastered to the wall, to avoid Luna. ...and Luna is just sitting there, looking from them back to me like, "what is their problem?"

My Dad was scared of dogs, but that's because he was attacked by one when he was little. So his was a very valid reason - in fact, a lot of people have valid reasons for being scared of dogs.

Now he's not scared of dogs anymore, obviously, because we have a dog. :P

Sorry to hear about this. But I can see it from the girl's point of view: she just saw a dog kill one of her pets. How would YOU feel as a little kid - she doesn't understand its a natural instinct for huskies to hunt and kill small animals (in fact, a lot of adults don't 'understand' it either!)

I'm sorry. :( And I agree, there should be a class on how not to be afraid of dogs. I have people all the time that are skittish around mine, nearly plastered to the wall, to avoid Luna. ...and Luna is just sitting there, looking from them back to me like, "what is their problem?"

It seems people go from one extreme to the other, I wish schools (or parents ! )  would teach kids on how to approach a dog, screaming SNOWDOG !  And running at them is not the way, it annoys me when parents stand there and frown at me when I tell their kids they should ask if they can say hello, it's like they think they have the right to touch my dog because he looks cute and cuddly, he is, but he's still an animal and he has rights too !   Sorry rant over

Because of all the stories, alot of people are afraid of dogs. I have to admit, i may have dogs, but i find some intimidating, and would never aproach one unless sure.

Some fear is good, it makes you think twice about pushing a dogs face into yours like that lady on TV. If you have no dog experience fear isnt a bad thing.

HOWEVER, there are too many people who avoid their fear, and point blank wont face them

Education is all we can offer.

I don't trust my family (aunties , uncle etc) with mine after I went to visit mum in hosp n I told them to make sure blaze was locked in the house but bings was ok , we were having furniture delivered n they left the back door and the gate open n blaze escaped n ran down into a completely different estate , never trusted them again

It seems people go from one extreme to the other, I wish schools (or parents ! ) would teach kids on how to approach a dog, screaming SNOWDOG ! And running at them is not the way, it annoys me when parents stand there and frown at me when I tell their kids they should ask if they can say hello, it's like they think they have the right to touch my dog because he looks cute and cuddly, he is, but he's still an animal and he has rights too ! Sorry rant over oh I agree! This does my head in , if u approach mine slowly they are fine but run at them n blaze turns into a huskaroo , skyla isn't keen on children either unless she can approach them in her own time yet parents don't seem to care that their kids are scaring her n that she doesn't want to be stroked

Another thing to think of here.... this girl may not know what the dogs would do so was scared... this also would have gone through to the dogs and if she had perhaps tried to take the dog away from the situation the dog may have turned on her.... not trying to sound harsh but you just dont know so in this situation it may be better she did not touch your dogs as it could have been a far worse situation if that makes sense!

My Dad was scared of dogs, but that's because he was attacked by one when he was little. So his was a very valid reason - in fact, a lot of people have valid reasons for being scared of dogs.

Now he's not scared of dogs anymore, obviously, because we have a dog. :P

Sorry to hear about this. But I can see it from the girl's point of view: she just saw a dog kill one of her pets. How would YOU feel as a little kid - she doesn't understand its a natural instinct for huskies to hunt and kill small animals (in fact, a lot of adults don't 'understand' it either!)

My daughter is fine. She was sad that day and told Jax "go outside we don't like you today." but she wasn't really mad at him. 

To clarify, the "girl" that was scared of my dogs is 19 and owns pitbulls and has been around my dogs before. (it was my nephews girlfriend) I would never blame a child for an incident like this. And I do agree there is a level of healthy fear when approaching a strange animal. I was just frustrated knowing that my dogs wouldn't hurt a person and that if she had known that the guineas might have lived.  

I don't have a valid reason for being scared of dogs, I just am. It isn't something rational that I can control. I know my own dog and am not scared of her, but there isn't a class that is going to teach me not to be afraid of them.

My daughter is fine. She was sad that day and told Jax "go outside we don't like you today." but she wasn't really mad at him. 

To clarify, the "girl" that was scared of my dogs is 19 and owns pitbulls and has been around my dogs before. (it was my nephews girlfriend) I would never blame a child for an incident like this. And I do agree there is a level of healthy fear when approaching a strange animal. I was just frustrated knowing that my dogs wouldn't hurt a person and that if she had known that the guineas might have lived.  

Ohhh sorry i didn't realise she was an adult :)

i dont trust anyone with my dogs any ways and people who come to my house know to ask before they do anything with my dogs xx