What To Do For Dozer

Bambi92

It's been really cold at night and its been cold during the day a bit and the poor bugger is outside shaking because he's cold :( I put some blankets on his bed in the kennel he has but he keeps pulling them out and putting them on the grass then the blankets get cold and he won't lay on them. I tried to put a coat on him that I had for Sasha but he doesn't want to wear it.

What else could I try for him?

I would bring him inside but he's really stinky at the moment because he needs a bath and I'm not sure if he will pee in the house if he's left alone for anymore then 5mins he's not desexed yet once we have him signed over we will be getting him done.

I was going to put him in the laundry at night but its way to small for his big bum to fit without hitting the washing machine and dryer every time he moves and I don't have anywhere else for him to sleep.

I think he might be starting to have problems with his hips as well when ever its cold or he's been laying down for long periods of time he limps he still runs and jumps around like the hyper dog he is when we throw his toys for him.

What else could I do to keep him warm? I hate seeing him cold and shaking :( I want to bring him inside but ill get in trouble lol and we have a house inspection next week so the house smelling like him won't be a good idea as he's not ment to be here.

Any tips or advice is much appreciated :)

... can you take him to one of the pet shops that have indoor DIY washing set ups. THat way you can probably use warm water and blow dry when done. At least that will get rid of the smell part of the indoor issue. I can't really help with the indoor peeing except for the obvious of taking him outside for toilet duties before bed and first thing in the morning.

How long will he have to stay outside for? How cold has it been getting?

I would put him in the laundry room for now. That way, he'll still be warm. Maybe put down some puppy pads on the floor so its an easy clean up in the morning.

Another suggestion, if the laundry room still isn't possible....build/buy a doghouse. Fill it with hay/other insulating material that is safe for animals. 

I believe keeping a dog outside without any protection from the elements (atleast a dog house) is considered animal cruelty anyways?? They could take away not only Dozer, but Delta and Sasha as well... :(

We take all the dogs to Pet Barn for there bathes just haven't had the money to take Dozer yet he stinks two days after having a bath though he needs some doggy deodorant or something haha

For the peeing inside he will come in go straight into the lounge room and lay down but will get up a few mins later and sniff around like he's going to mark his territory.

We have the same problem with Zara pulling out dog beds and blankets from her kennel, but for some reason she likes towels! It may be a textural/smell preference issue? Maybe try towels, shredded paper, hay, anything else you can think of and see if dozer has a preference? I think Zara likes towels because when we first picked her up I let her mum and dad play with a towel, then she slept with it for the first few months and the familiar smell really calmed her (she only woke us the first 2-3 nights and has slept through ever since!). Perhaps if there is a toy that seems to calm dozer, putting it in his kennel at night as a bed time treat might help?

There are heat pads you can also buy for dogs, might help especially with his hips? I've never used one though so not sure of the safety of them...

Good luck :)

How long will he have to stay outside for? How cold has it been getting?

I would put him in the laundry room for now. That way, he'll still be warm. Maybe put down some puppy pads on the floor so its an easy clean up in the morning.

Another suggestion, if the laundry room still isn't possible....build/buy a doghouse. Fill it with hay/other insulating material that is safe for animals.

I believe keeping a dog outside without any protection from the elements (atleast a dog house) is considered animal cruelty anyways?? They could take away not only Dozer, but Delta and Sasha as well... :(

He has a big kennel we built Sasha but she never uses it so Dozer does I can fit in it standing lol it's not that he has no shelter he has plenty he's an outside dog always has been but I don't like seeing him cold didnt think of the hay or stuff like that. I was going to buy him another bed but haven't had the money due to having to buy everything for the baby.

The kennel is open at the front though so I was thinking about enclosing the front so its not as cold ill take a pic of his kennel soon and show you what I mean.

I've tried towels he does the same thing except he tries to play tug-o-war with them lol ill try the hay I have some here for my rabbit if I put the hay in like an old pillow case or something will that still work? I don't want hay all over he backyard our yard is pretty big. He likes to lay on a towel inside but not outside he tries to bring my pillows out of our bedroom into the lounge room the few times he's come in. If I give him a pillow and he rips it up he could get the stuffing stuck in his tummy if he swallows it couldn't he?

I was thinking about getting him one of those heated beds the rspca have them but like you said the safety part of it would be an issue but I'm not sure how they heat up I'd have to look into it some more.

If he has a "room" which is what it sounds like you're describing, then with the temperatures you should be getting now, you really want something that is "dog sized" Something that's big enough for him to turn around in - anyone seen a dog who doesn't turn around before they go to sleep? - but small enough that his own body heat will keep it warm.  I don't know what the plastic ones would run you down there but my labs liked them .... they look like miniature igloos.

If he has a "room" which is what it sounds like you're describing, then with the temperatures you should be getting now, you really want something that is "dog sized" Something that's big enough for him to turn around in - anyone seen a dog who doesn't turn around before they go to sleep? - but small enough that his own body heat will keep it warm.  I don't know what the plastic ones would run you down there but my labs liked them .... they look like miniature igloos.

He had one of them originally but he never went in it he preferred the big one I tried to get him to go in with treats and toys but he wouldn't go in he'd only sniff near the opening

post-9013-0-92692000-1369196053_thumb.jp

This is the house sort of kennel thing

post-9013-0-82327800-1369196117_thumb.jp

And that's his bed at the moment he's always on it

I want to cover the front of it so its not as open we built this in summer and were going to add the front but never got around to it if we put a front on it with a door big enough for him to fit through it should be warmer I'm not sure if he will go in it then its pretty warm in there if there's no wind but if there's a bit of wind it gets cold and the last couple of nights its been getting to around 9degrees cel its even cold inside the house.

I see your problem - the entrance is WAY too big. It should be big enough for a dog to JUST fit through. 

Maybe if you close off the entranceway half-way, he still may be willing to go inside? And it would be warmer for him. Also, stuffing hay along the sides would help a lot with insulation too. But, mainly, its the huge entrance that's the problem right now...

... those heat pads work well. I had one for my mini-shchauzer that would get cold in winter. They use very little electricity - I think they are only around 2 watts. You could put one on his bed and cover with a blanket or towel.

We have a tarp that I was going to put up not sure how to attach it so he doesn't pull it down and rip it I'm not very builder like lol until I have the money to get another piece of board to put across the front ill put the tarp up see if it does anything and then go from there.

We don't have much money so ill have to think of things that don't cost a lot to do.

I'm really surprised, most dogs want something that's "den sized" ....

Sasha is the same she hates confined spaces but I think that's got something to do with her past though.

I would add a front to the existing kennel using plywood for the top half and perspex for the botton half leaving room for a doggy sized door.  That way Dozer may not feel so enclosed as the bottom part would basically be a window.  If you make it so that the front is easily removeable you can take the front off the kennel during the warmer months.  Also if he not a chewer you can line the inside walls with thermal sheets similar to these which will keep him cool in summer and warm in winter:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271206175406?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I would add a front to the existing kennel using plywood for the top half and perspex for the botton half leaving room for a doggy sized door.  That way Dozer may not feel so enclosed as the bottom part would basically be a window.  If you make it so that the front is easily removeable you can take the front off the kennel during the warmer months.  Also if he not a chewer you can line the inside walls with thermal sheets similar to these which will keep him cool in summer and warm in winter:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271206175406?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Thanks for that that's a great idea.

Not sure if he would chew it he chews up some things but not others and if he did chew that up wouldn't it make him sick? I think that sort of stuff is expensive here ill have to look in to it

... the kennel already has wooden batons on the inside, so it would be cheap and easy to but some gyprock and attached to the inside. You could always drive past building sites to see what they have discarded as well. You can then do the same with an insulation pink/yellow bat or even newspaper and stuff in the cavities before you nail in the gyprock.  I have also seen plenty of the thermal sheets as linked above discarded at building sites.

It really would be a very cheap and  simple job to do. I would also add a couple of batons to the front to narrow the entrance somewhat at the same time. I believe our American friends call qyprock drywall. 

Thanks for that that's a great idea.

Not sure if he would chew it he chews up some things but not others and if he did chew that up wouldn't it make him sick? I think that sort of stuff is expensive here ill have to look in to it

The thermal sheet is only a suggestion, there are other options such as using felt backed carpet etc which would give some insulation

... the kennel already has wooden batons on the inside, so it would be cheap and easy to but some gyprock and attached to the inside. You could always drive past building sites to see what they have discarded as well. You can then do the same with an insulation pink/yellow bat or even newspaper and stuff in the cavities before you nail in the gyprock.  I have also seen plenty of the thermal sheets as linked above discarded at building sites.

It really would be a very cheap and  simple job to do. I would also add a couple of batons to the front to narrow the entrance somewhat at the same time. I believe our American friends call qyprock drywall.

Didnt think of gyprock. We know a gyprocker he might come in handy if we do it that way.

Isn't it classed as stealing if you take it from a building site though?

Newspaper would be the cheaper option I'd have to check if the roof leaks though or if its just rain coming in through the opening. I can't touch the insulation things because I have an really bad reaction to it for some reason so that's sort of out of the question unless I'm not going to be near it until its completely covered which if I don't do the kennel myself it won't get done I've been asking my OH for months to help me figure out a way to make it better for him and I ended up here asking you guys for advice lol

Thanks for all the ideas and advice :)

Didnt think of gyprock. We know a gyprocker he might come in handy if we do it that way.

Isn't it classed as stealing if you take it from a building site though?

Newspaper would be the cheaper option I'd have to check if the roof leaks though or if its just rain coming in through the opening. I can't touch the insulation things because I have an really bad reaction to it for some reason so that's sort of out of the question unless I'm not going to be near it until its completely covered which if I don't do the kennel myself it won't get done I've been asking my OH for months to help me figure out a way to make it better for him and I ended up here asking you guys for advice lol

Thanks for all the ideas and advice :)

I am not talking about stealing  :D  There are generally large piles of rubbish or a bin that will have unwanted stuff. You could always ask someone working if they have any scraps of what you are after. And give your OH a gentle nudge or a kick in the pants (whichever works best) and get him to handle the insulation or better still do the whole job. A couple of hours work at most and cook him a nice dinner LOL!

give your OH a gentle nudge or a kick in the pants (whichever works best) and get him to handle the insulation or better still do the whole job. A couple of hours work at most and cook him a nice dinner LOL!

Haha yeah right he won't do anything unless I get annoyed at him or it has something to do with a ps3 controller lol

Ill have to look around and see what there is. And what I can get my hands on :)

kaiser was the same, pulled blankets out of his kennel, so i got some carpet and nailed it to the floor of his kennel, something warm to sleep on and he cant get it out :)

Dammit we had some carpet in our garage that we got rid of a month ago wish I thought of that earlier it would of been just enough to cover the floor to :(

I need to sit and think about what I can use things for before I get rid of it lol

Dammit we had some carpet in our garage that we got rid of a month ago wish I thought of that earlier it would of been just enough to cover the floor to :(

I need to sit and think about what I can use things for before I get rid of it lol

yeah it comes in pretty handy, or an old mat, maybe you could get some cheap carpet somewhere :)