Bikejoring - Quick Question

Stranger

Good morning peoples :)

Was planning on getting a scooter, but seeing as i already have two bikes, i thought i should at least try them on that before investing in a scooter and find out they dont like it.

Suffice to say, ive looked into it and am planning on Biking with the boys down a farmers lane, but question is, do i run them together, or on their own?

I would like to run them together in the long run, but i am assuming some training will be needed and controling one is easier than two?!?!? at the beginning?

I dont really have the money at the moment to go out and buy two bike arms, and two gang lines, to find that they prefer the double team, but then at the same time, buying a double lead, to find they prefer a single lead, means ive wasted money lol...i know right, ive gotta choose one or the other.

is it best when running both together, to have a double lead or is it ok to have them on two leads, attached to one?

Oh the joys of money...lol :)

cheers peoples

much luv xx

I only have Kodi so I can't advise on running two but I am yet to buy a bike arm, at the moment I am using one of them wire coat hangers unwound and shaped into a bike arm. May save you a couple of pounds while you try it out. The bike arm doesn't actually take any strain (On mine anyway) it only keeps the lead away from the front wheel.

Photo? i think i know what you mean but surely a coat hanger isnt strong enough to keep shape and keep the lead up and away from the wheel?

cheers

Um... don't think I have a picture... one moment I'll go look

Right I don't have a picture of mine but it's one of these hangers:

post-2303-0-81719400-1369211682.jpg

And I attach it to the bike with the bit out front bent in a 'U' shape which helps with strength (although it's not strong it's sufficient to keep it out of the wheel)

It does bounce about a bit, maybe worth having a look and try, if your not confident or aren't sure don't use it and order an arm.

It's a little like this but in a 'U' shape at the front attached just under the handle bars.

post-2303-0-19678000-1369211823.jpg

I wouldnt use that personally. looks unsecure and dangerous.

especially if the dog has no recall should it get loose.

Do what I do. I have a double gangline and if I use only one dog I clip both clips to the dog :D problem solved

I wouldnt use that personally. looks unsecure and dangerous.

It's not unsecure or dangerous?

The gangline is attached to the bike just under the handle bars and isn't going anywhere and all the coat hanger does is 'support' the lead and keep it out of the front wheel. Any pull goes through the gangline and the bike not through the hanger

attachicon.gifpost-2303-1358600842963_thumb.jpg

And I attach it to the bike with the bit out front bent in a 'U' shape which helps with strength (although it's not strong it's sufficient to keep it out of the wheel)

It does bounce about a bit, maybe worth having a look and try, if your not confident or aren't sure don't use it and order an arm.

It's a little like this but in a 'U' shape at the front attached just under the handle bars.

attachicon.gif6a0120a7ed5f9d970b0168e4fa2a41970c-800wi.jpg

Like that idea for the next time mine breaks and have to wait 2 weeks for a new one to be delivered....and it is only there to keep the gangline out of the front wheel....

It's not unsecure or dangerous?

The gangline is attached to the bike just under the handle bars and isn't going anywhere and all the coat hanger does is 'support' the lead and keep it out of the front wheel. Any pull goes through the gangline and the bike not through the hanger

ok sorry i couldnt see where it was attached to the bike. i thought it was atached to the hanger

• 1 month later...

you're best to have some sort of shoch absorber, if just running one dog i do a dampened tug which has a shock built in, if more than one dog i do a seperate shock absorber :) (its not on the site)

you're best to have some sort of shoch absorber, if just running one dog i do a dampened tug which has a shock built in, if more than one dog i do a seperate shock absorber :) (its not on the site)

what I want to do is run 2 dogs but not on one line, so that if they don't like it I can put them on separate bikes....I am hoping they will enjoy it together as there is only me, and they get separation anxi from each other, but obviously if Kaiden doesn't like running as fast as Parker, then he will need to be ran separately, or by a "recruit" (working on finding someone)

attachicon.gifpost-2303-1358600842963_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gif6a0120a7ed5f9d970b0168e4fa2a41970c-800wi.jpg

I'm with you on the 'Heath Robinson' approach.  Why pay out money when you can make it yourself..  I would have one thing to add though -- try using a mudguard stay - the 'U' shaped type with the tiny bolt loops at each end.   I simply bent the two bolt loops to 90 degrees and fixed it to the bike with a tv  aerial u bolt.  I have a small lightweight carabiner on the wire and the line simply runs through.  These mudguard stays are very strong and flexible enough if you have an accident . they will bend and you simply bend them back into shape.  - Simple

After you've got your lines or even before you don't I would definitely say take one at a time. Link is a gem on the bike, but I used him on a Walky Dog first around my neighborhood so I had more control as he might've bolted after a squirrel and tries to drag me into the road. When pulling in front for the first time I took him to a bike trail where there wasn't any traffic and he did great, stayed on the path the whole time, didn't try to dart into the forest, etc. But having two would've been a lot worse and its definitely easier to handle one. Plus when Yuki's old enough to bike, Link knows all the commands and will be able to show her the ropes :)

After you've got your lines or even before you don't I would definitely say take one at a time. Link is a gem on the bike, but I used him on a Walky Dog first around my neighborhood so I had more control as he might've bolted after a squirrel and tries to drag me into the road. When pulling in front for the first time I took him to a bike trail where there wasn't any traffic and he did great, stayed on the path the whole time, didn't try to dart into the forest, etc. But having two would've been a lot worse and its definitely easier to handle one. Plus when Yuki's old enough to bike, Link knows all the commands and will be able to show her the ropes :)

Only a few weeks before Yuki is old enough to start "having a go " :up:

Only a few weeks before Yuki is old enough to start "having a go " :up:

haha yeah, she turns 1 on July 23rd but wondering if I should wait until 18 months to bike her? I was planning on starting her in March of 2014, she'd be 20 months old :3 Then again having Link with her I know it wouldn't have too much strain put on her because Link would probably pull most the weight.. I'm just super paranoid about damaging her joints. 

both my girls started between 7 and 9 months, obviously not covering a huge amount of distance but they still ran, keyusha was running wheel on the 3 dog team at a rally at a year old