Ares Refuses To Eat?

Hi everyone!

So yesterday we went out for a walk with Ares. We went through the usual areas and he seemed to be active and really playful as he always is. We even met a golden retriever puppy which is just as old as Ares and they went completely nuts while playing. I even took him off the leash and let him play with the other doggy. Everything went well so I thought it's a good idea to finally go back home to take a rest and have dinner.

I prepared his meal, my English fails me here as I'm not quite sure how you call these - granules, pellets? We bought him a whole bag and he's always impatient when it's time to eat. He'd jump around, wag his tail and even bark sometimes and he wouldn't even leave me put his bowl on the ground! Last night, however, he was just sitting there while I was taking the bowl to him, after that he just went to it, sniffed it and just came to me and sat down. This is totally not the behaviour that we're used to. I thought he might be really tired so I let him relax and decided to check on him later on.

A few hours later he still haven't touched his food and I was starting to get worried. He wasn't even so impatient and playful when he saw me again and usually he tends to go nuts when he sees a family member and he tries to climb on you and lick you all over.

I decided to give him some of the meatballs that we had for dinner along with some bread and he ate that pretty quickly! That's a relief, indeed. This morning he still refused to eat of his granular food and instead I got him some boiled potatoes and meat and in just a minute everything was gone, he was even looking for more.

I'm not sure what might be reason for him to suddenly be so picky out of the nowhere. He loved his food and he always wanted more of it. Ares is currently 4 months and two weeks old and he's still changing his teeth. Is it possible that he refuses to eat his ordinary food because of that or is he just still really tired? He played with the other dog for only like 20 minutes or probably even less, but I don't know how tiring this could be for him. :(

I plan to take him to the vet today but I'd be happy to hear your opinion too, I've heard that huskies could be really picky when it comes down to food, is Ares doing the same?

Thanks!

Sounds like bear the last few days, turns his nose up at his food and normal treats,  but will wolf down chicken or sausages no problem !  I think the dogs are simply smarter than us,  if I had the choice I would go for sausages as well

The only problem is that he'll have you swapping and changing every other day as he gets bored of the new one.

Also changing the food they eat can cause upset stomachs & runny bums. :(

Tell me about it, he has taken himself from 3 meals a day down to 2, (ignoring breakfast) but he's still getting the same stuff, I have thought about putting him on adult food even though he's only just over 8 months, he's pretty big for his age. When is the best time to do that ?

Tell me about it, he has taken himself from 3 meals a day down to 2, (ignoring breakfast) but he's still getting the same stuff, I have thought about putting him on adult food even though he's only just over 8 months, he's pretty big for his age. When is the best time to do that ?

get a small bag of the adult food and try him on it.

If it's too strong and gives him the runs then you haven't wasted a lot of money.

When you do switch him over gradually mix in the adult food and phase out the puppy food over a week.

Then it's a gentle transistion .

You know, I think the vet recommended getting adult food, probably that's the reason why Ares refused to eat it. Currently we're back to food for puppies and he loves it.

Whatever they like to eat and keeps them solid.

Sometimes that's the really expensive stuff and sometimes it's the cheapest nastiest stuff in the shop.

It all depends on the dogs stomach.

Ha, we used to use expensive stuff the vet recommended, had to switch and tried pedigree chum, tummy settled and his butt dried right up !! Thinking of switching to raw, it's the calculations that scare me a little, getting the right mix is important, and I don't want to cock it up

We give ours Kibble and tinned meat and every three or four days replace a meal with chicken wings.

Ours are happy and solid.

However they are all adult dogs now.

Ok ignoring breakfast has now gone to ignoring breakfast and lunch today, so he hasn't eaten anything since last night, still peering and poking,  when I take him out he's ok but indoors he just lying down and sleeping.  Could it be he's getting too much protein/fat/food to his level of exercise ?  We do a couple of walks a day and play in the park after the evening one.

It's not unusual for a dog to "go off their food" for a couple of days.

If it goes on into a third day though I would seek a vets advice.