Cocking A Leg ?

sarahjng

Okay, never never having had a puppy before I have no clue so thought I would ask the experts.  When does a puppy (male duh !)  go from a squat to a leg clock ?  I made a joke in the park yesterday and told bear he would have to learn how, and someone said he was way too young yet, tonight he did it it on the way home, he's eight and a half months but pretty big.

Shadow did it first time at about 9 months old, he doesn't do it all the time TBH he is 3 this year and usually squats lol even if he wants to mark something sometimes he will just stand over what he wants to mark and squat over it instead lol

Ha ha. When ice was just starting to cock his leg I took him out on a flexi lead for a run on the green. He was running around happily and I whistled and called him back. He got very excited, came legging it over and promptly peed up my bare leg! Not a happy mummy! Lol

What's weird with mine, is that both of them were neutered at 4 months of age.  And Nikko never lifted his leg..ever.  He will just stand there and pee. But Yukon started lifting his leg at about 6 months of age, and I'd say he lifts his leg half of the time he goes.  

Kodiak is a rescue so I have no idea when he was neutered, and he lifts his leg most of the time, but I have seen him squat before

Bear's not been snipped (yet, but if he keeps trying to hump the sofa........)  and now cocks his leg about 90% of the time,  which is fine, but he pees so often !  It seems he has to stop at every other tree, even when he's empty he stops and cocks lol

FYI  still doing the armpit licking ...ewwww

Panda starting raising his leg around 7 months, never knew he did until i caught him marking my wall. So he got snipped soon after. 

On a walk its 100% he will lift his leg, and he will mark every few trees/poles/bushes/long grass/ flowers. Backyard its only about 20% of the time.

I think it might have something to do with when you neuter them. I got mine does right at 5 months and Pongo never lifted his leg. Most people in this thread who waited longer than that have dogs that do raise their leg. Interesting concept though!