Grass Eating,

Hey Everyone, 

I am sure I am not the only one experiencing this with my husky. I am working on recall training in the back yard, its fenced in so I let her off the leash and let her run a bit before I try to call her. For the most part it works however she has her days where she just doesnt want to respond she is too busy eating the grass or soil. I try to stop her and tell her to drop it however she simply starts running and tries to swallow it as she is running. 

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations on how to deal with that. I

Thanks

Sam

Well, I am not an expert, but in my experience with Huskies, if they want to do something other than what you want them to do, either give in or change direction. Trying to stop her is more than likely a game for her. A timeout for a bit then resume when she is ready may be one option. It can be trying working with a Husky.

All of mine love eating grass, soil, etc.  Yukon will dive for the clumps of grass that are stuck to the sidewalk!  I haven't figured out how to get them to stop tho LOL

some websites say that dogs eat grass as a way to heal themselves when they're feeling unhealthy. But Dime is as healthy as one can be and he STILL eats grass  :wacko: then usually a day (or less) later he throws up. Ugh. Not fun. I try to stop him from eating the grass now but I do read that grass-eating is normal. 

All mine eat grass and then a bit later throw it up.

It's sometimes seen as a way of purging their stomachs.

It's quite normal. Nothing to worry about.

The only way to stop it is to keep all your grass really short.

Kira eats grass from time to time. It's interesting that she picks specific type, and it's supposed to help her "clean up" her stomach from hair or other stuff like that. Usually I let her eat it for as long as she needs to, then she vomits, and is as good as new.

Cats do it too.