One Big Hello From Sapphire And Myself.

abbyerin

Hi everyone,

I've grown up around two german shephards once i moved to australia, my partner and i have just decided we wanted to start our family so what better than to get a puppy. We decided on our beautiful girl Sapphire, she is only 6 weeks old and has only been at home one night (fingers crossed she lets us sleep tonight. As Sapphire is my first husky any advice would be great.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, Abby, and welcome to Husky Owners! :)

Being quite new myself, I don't know if I'd be really helpful, but you can check out this board:

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/forum/33-siberian-husky-questions/

There's plenty of useful information, I learned quite a few things when I got Ares :)

Btw, I want to see pictures of the little princess, please!

Hello, and welcome!! Sapphire is so adorable, and it sounds like she's doing really well for only being 6 weeks old. :)

This site has helped me so much when I started my research on the breed. All the members here are very helpful, and I honestly don't think you'd be able to find a better forum for Husky knowledge than right here! :)

I can't wait to see more pictures of Sapphire as she grows! :)

hi and welcome! :D what a cute little sable baby :wub: husky pups are famous for their sensitive digestive system. They often get diarrhea if they were fed too much, but some are more resilient than others you'll soon see which "category" Sapphire belongs to ;) they also make a variety of interesting noises LOL some don't bark, like my boy Diamond, but talks/grumbles instead! It's quite amusing to hear hahaa a member here invented a new word and now I'm referring to the husky talk as "monkey noises" :P they also got what we call "the zoomies". That's when they got a tad over excited and run around aimlessly in the house (crashing into stuffs, knocking over expensive things... hahaa) to tell the world how happy they are :P they're a ton of fun, really :D in case you got any questions regarding your puppy, please don't hesitate to ask! We're an international forum so since everyone has different timezones, there's always somebody to answer your question ;) enjoy your stay! 

Welcome to the forum, and nice to see another Aussie here even though you are a Banana-Bender  :P (Actually, I love QLD)

Sapphire is beautiful, congratulations. This is a really great place to learn and the people here are very friendly and generous with their knowledge.

Thanks guys. I look forward to letting you see her grow. At the moment shes had diarrhea, indon't know whether this is because of her 6bweeks shots she had yesterday and the change of environment or something else. My brother is a dog handler in the raf, he has told me to feed her some scrambled eggs with her dinner and see how she goes after that. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to the forum.

Sapphire is gorgeous.

The runny bum could simply be that you are feeding her too much,

Either too much at each meal, or too many times per day.

Unlike GSD's (We have a white GSD) Who can eat almost anything in HUGE quantities.

Huskies have sensitive stomachs.

Stick to puppy food (no human food) give her half the amount of food she is getting at the moment

until her runny bum settles down. then gradually increase it until her stools begin to get soft.

Huskies are very different in behaviour to GSD's, please don't take anything you know about dogs 

for granted because Huskies will turn that upside down.

Look forward to watching sapphire grow up and cause all kinds of mayhem. .. :)

Good Luck :up:

post-1354-0-64672300-1369732052_thumb.jp

Welcome to husky owners.

As you've had german shepards before, I suggest:

first you forget everything you know about dogs and dog behaviour,

second, buy a big bag of patience and a ball of nerves,

third enjoy the adventure of coexistence (not owning) with a husky :D

just want it to run smoothly (:

LOL with a husky. . .that'll never happen. :P

It's possible that the breeder gave you kibble that either wasn't very good, the change of location and water etc.

or too much different food.

We joined the forum over 3 years ago with exactly the same question / Problem.

We already had Echo (White GSD) and introduced Daughtry, then six months later rescued Darwin.

Huskies are so different to any other dog we've had.

A great challenge, but a great joy too.

Welcome to husky owners.

As you've had german shepards before, I suggest:

first you forget everything you know about dogs and dog behaviour,

second, buy a big bag of patience and a ball of nerves,

third enjoy the adventure of coexistence (not owning) with a husky :D

Haha one of my parents german shepards are crossed with a husky shes a great dog. But i understand were you are coming from i learn something new every moment of owning sapphire

LOL with a husky. . .that'll never happen. :P

It's possible that the breeder gave you kibble that either wasn't very good, the change of location and water etc.

or too much different food.

We joined the forum over 3 years ago with exactly the same question / Problem.

We already had Echo (White GSD) and introduced Daughtry, then six months later rescued Darwin.

Huskies are so different to any other dog we've had.

A great challenge, but a great joy too.

Dont tell me that.. haha shes a great pup. Day two and shes settled in well (: just need to sort this runny bum out and everything will be magic. I cant wait until shes big enough for me to take her on my morning 10km run

. I cant wait until shes big enough for me to take her on my morning 10km run

Darn it, gonna rain on your parade again. . sigh.

You're going to have to wait until she's at least a year old . . :(

You should''t be letting her do any strenuous exercise until she's at least a year old.

The guidelines are 5 minutes of exercise per month of age. (i.e. taking her for an outside walk / to the park etc)

So when she's 4 months 20 minutes (or about a mile walk).

She'll be getting plenty of exercise at home just running around the house and garden.

The reason is that her bones and ligaments are still growing up to a year and although she will enjoy the run with you, you could be doing damage to the bones, joints, and ligaments.

However this damage doesn't become apparent until she's older and starts to suffer hip and walking problems many years earlier than you would normally expect.

It's worth the wait. :)

Of course Andy. I've read all about exercise already!

post-1354-0-25034700-1368023767.gif

You'd be surprised how many people get a Husky pup and haven't done any research, assuming that they are just like the Staffy they had as a kid, and then discover the challenges
that Huskies bring.

Welcome to the forum :) Sapphire is gorgeous! 6 weeks is a tad young to be going to a new home but hey ho you have her :) Just work on bite inhibition as they normally learn this with their siblings at this age!

Good luck and welcome to husky hood! I have a male full husky and also a female husky cross GSD :) I love GSD's and would love a full GSD one day :)