Chewing And Acting Out!!!

Amanduhhh01

My Husky puppy is almost 8 weeks old and I understand that she is a puppy but how do I stop her from chewing on things other than her chew toys?? (which she has PLENTY!!) Better question, what are some good tips for training to not do bad things? I want to try to use positive reinforcement but I do not know how to go about telling her no to chewing on the couch and not to biting me. Please Help!!!

Just like human babies when teething will much prefer to nom on your mobile phone ,TV remote, even mums elbows and chins :P

rather than all the teething rings and toys that have been bought for that activity.

Puppies are the same, they will find something inapropriate and chew on that instead of all the chewy things you've provided.

It's natural :)

She's going to chew on stuff. You need to make sure that dangerous things are not available to her for chewing, and other than that you just have to be really vigilant. Swap out a toy when she starts to chew. You can also get a bitter apple spray and if she has things she tends to chew on, spray them. She won't like the taste and should stop chewing. Be really careful about soft things (socks, paper towels, sponges), because they can easily be ingested and cause blockages that will set you back $2500 and lots of tears and worry.

As for the biting on you, you'll have to give her a firm no and stop all play/interaction for a few minutes. Eventually she'll learn that if she bites or bites too rough then that means play time/interactions with you will end immediately.

And like the others said, you'll just have to keep an eye on her when you're around to make sure she isn't chewing on inappropriate things. What I did with my pup is when I saw her grab something to chew on that wasn't appropriate for her to chew, I would take the item and say no chew, and then give her a toy of hers and praised her when she chewed on her toys.

You could also get some durable chew toys and freeze them, so that they'll be nice and cool for her to nibble on and it'll soothe her gums when she chews. Also freezing a wet washcloth is another thing you can do to help soothe her gums during teething so she won't chew as much. Just don't leave her alone with the washcloth and take it from her as soon as it thaws so she won't have a chance to rip it up and eat it.