Thoughts On Crate Training?

crate training is a lifesaver. Especially if you need to leave him alone for a couple of hours every day. It can prevent him from chewing something dangerous and getting himself into trouble. However, crate training won't solve your potty training problem. If you want him to go outside, slowly move the paper outside. Don't forget to praise him when he "goes" outside as well :) when he pees on the paper, drip some of the urine to the grasses so that the scent would be transferred to your yard :) puppies pee wherever they smell urine. Which is why in case he stepped on his pee you should clean his paws immediately so that he doesn't transfer the pee scent to furnitures :) good luck!

Thank you for the advice! But he goes on the paper but I also think it's because of the spot. I've tried numerous ways to get rid of the scent but I can't seem to do that :( And I'm not home all the time to let him out when he needs to go so he'll obviously go in his spot again and this is the big dilemma.

What type of surface is the spot where he toilets (ie wood, lino, etc)?

You could try a solution of washing powder detergent mixed with water as I know this works on carpet better than those products you can but off the shelf

Both of my dogs are crate trained and any dog i have from now on will also be :) It gives them a safe place of their own also :) I retrained my older male at 2 years old to be crated as i didn't previously i trained both at the same time it was hard work!

I also found this difference.... 

Shadow who i did not crate from a young pup took till 6 months plus to toilet train

Skye who i crated from pup was toilet trained within a couple of weeks :)

100% supporter of crate training. It's the only way I could still have a husky. She doesn't complain and knows her crate is where she gets special treats that she doesn't get elsewhere. We have had to keep her crate in a place she considers her living space. When her crate was in a separate room, she peed in it every day. Moving it to the dining room stopped her peeing so far.

When I first thought about it I hated the thought of it. I mean the idea of putting my 8 week old baby boy in a crate just disgusted me.

But I did it.

Now I have 3 and all are crated and I couldnt imagine the thought of not having them.

Just a couple of weeks ago I was begging for the same help, (check my old posts lol)  and to be honest, for me, moving the paper didn't help, more than 12 inches and he ignored the paper and went back to the original spot.  Then it just happened, he pooed on the way home from the park.  I will confess I happy danced to my house, it will happen, 

Crate training is definately the way to go... it will protect your furniture as was mentioned before.  As for the paper training basically place the pad by the door so atleast the dog will get use to going to that location when they need to go.  Then its just a matter of letting them outside before they have to go and giving them treats when they pee.  Make sure you say " good Pee or Good Poo" I know it seems silly but they will associate the word with the action and then eventually you can just tell them to go.  Taking them out frequently seems like a lot of work but its better way to go in the long run

Don't make the mistake of getting a massive crate as that won't work or if you get a bigger one get a divider till your pup grows into it more :) as otherwise they tend to use one side to go to the toilet