Preparing For Huskies

MarKFSmith

Hello everyone - I am newly registered on this site but been lurking for a while. We have been contemplating getting a husky or two for a while and are looking at rescue dogs from the SHCGB. We have done a lot of reading including topics on this forum but there are one or two things that we would like to try and understand before we fully commit. I apologies in advance is someone have already answered these - I have tried searching but couldn't find anything appropriate - would appreciate any comments/replies:

1. What size crates do we need for travel in a car. We are looking at roughly 108 (l) x 72 (w) x 72 (h) cm crates for sleeping in the house (is this big enough?). Crates for cars seem smaller. Is this true? Our Land Rover is about 1m wide so this would limit the width to 50cm at best. Any thoughts? I do understand a lot depends on the size of the dog but we are just talking rough measurement here.

2. We have to replace our fences - at the moment these are typical 4' 6" high wooden panel fences - are 6' high fences panel fences high/strong enough?

Many thanks in advance, Mark

Hello everyone - I am newly registered on this site but been lurking for a while. We have been contemplating getting a husky or two for a while and are looking at rescue dogs from the SHCGB. We have done a lot of reading including topics on this forum but there are one or two things that we would like to try and understand before we fully commit. I apologies in advance is someone have already answered these - I have tried searching but couldn't find anything appropriate - would appreciate any comments/replies:

1. What size crates do we need for travel in a car. We are looking at roughly 108 (l) x 72 (w) x 72 (h) cm crates for sleeping in the house (is this big enough?). Crates for cars seem smaller. Is this true? Our Land Rover is about 1m wide so this would limit the width to 50cm at best. Any thoughts? I do understand a lot depends on the size of the dog but we are just talking rough measurement here.

2. We have to replace our fences - at the moment these are typical 4' 6" high wooden panel fences - are 6' high fences panel fences high/strong enough?

Many thanks in advance, Mark

You can get travel crates that are smaller than normal crates, but unless you are travelling HUGE distances they will be large enough for day to day travelling.

Or you can get crates specific to your vehicle.

have a look here.

http://www.croftonline.co.uk/scp/Car_Dog_Crates_and_Travel/Aluminium_Car_Crates_-_Elegance.html

and here

http://www.arrows-uk.com/cage-land-rover-discovery-9804-p-645.html?gclid=CJrg1ZG2u7cCFQTHtAodoksAsA

Fences.

They need to be at least 6 foot above ground. (and a really determined husky will be able to get over this.)

However if the fence is in place before you get the dog, they don't know what's on the other side and so are less curious 

and so less likely to want to try to jump over.

ideally you'll want concrete footing along the ground length of the fence to discourage digging under the fence too.

Oh, yeah. Welcome to the forum   :P

post-1354-0-78175600-1369834144_thumb.jp

Firstly :welcomepack: you have certainly come to the right place for help and advice or even just a chat and laugh :D

Secondly I'm sorry but I can't advise you much as far as crates are concerned as we don't use them for our boy :) Although there are many members here that do crate their fur-kids and will be more than happy to advise you.  Our fences in the garden are 6' high and so far we've had no escape, but our boy is a Malamute and is quite lazy :rofl: Good luck with you preparations and keep us up to date :)

Thanks very much for the quick replies.

On the travel crates - yes I have looked up crates that fit the vehicle - e.g., Lintran (who I am told are good) sell crates that are 39 (w) x 38 (d) x 28.5 (h) inches (sorry for swapping between inches and cm) and this is for two side by side. This is less than the sleeping crates we have planned. I guess I am worried that these are designed for the car and not the husky! We don't really want to have to buy a new vehicle!

Thanks for the fence advice - the fence we have has concrete footings and we plan to place slabs around the fence edge to stop digging under. 

Great to see all the lovely pictures - hopefully won't be many months before we manage to get ours.

Best wishes, Mark and Michele

First off, welcome to the forum!  I have 3 huskies of different sizes, and I crate all 3 of them, so I can give you ideas on the sized crates that we use. 

Depedning on the dog, they may perfer the airline style crate, or the open wire crate.  The 2 I have had since puppies are in wire crates.  The larger dog, Nikko is 55lbs (24.5kg) and is in a 48x30x33 crate.  (122x76x84 in CM).  The smaller one, Yukon is much shorter and is about 45lbs (20.5kg) and is in the 42x28x31 crate (107x71x78 in CM).  They both do fine in those, and I am able to fit the smaller of the crates in the back of a Toyota 4 Runner. 

My newest dog, Kodiak is a rescue and about 60lbs (27.5kg).  He is in an airline style crate that is 40x27x30 (102x69x76 in CM). 

Those sized crates have worked so far, so hopefully this gives you a better idea.  As far as the fence, I don't really have a back yard, more of a patio, but I agree that at least 6" tall, and buried in the ground with concrete or blocks. 

Both my dogs are crated and they both have XL wire crates , here is both mine in their crates :)

975650_338342399624945_775687732_n.jpg?o

Car wise when we had the bmw we had a custom made dog cage made for it it looks smaller but its actually more secure that way and they were able to lay down and turn around etc was very expensive though at around 500 pounds but was car crash tested etc.

Thanks Al - I think we have read every single message on every husky board in the world by now! We are both experienced dog owners and I remember the first dog I had - I got on impulse when I lived in San Antonio and although I loved him to bits it was very difficult at first because it was unplanned. I don't intend to make that mistake again!

Best wishes, Mark

Heya welcome to the forum :D can't help as my baby doesn't have a crate but I'm sure you have already got plenty of good information already :) many thanks for doing your research before adopting and I hope you'll meet your "fur baby" soon :D 

Welcome to the forum

Shame you didn't post last week as some of us where at the Melton Mowbray show last weekend with our dogs

I personally use the Barjo dog guard in back of car which covers the whole are behind the back seats.  However if you're specifically looking for a crate I would suggest that a crate that is large enough for them to lie down and turn around in will be ok.

As for fencing I'd say at minimum of 6 foot but if your future dog is an escape artist you may want 7 or 8 foot.  

If you cant do cement in the ground around the fence one option that has worked for me so far are small cement pavers. They are relatively cheap and I put them right up against the fence. She gave up trying to dig under the fence with the pavers. It was cheaper and faster than redoing the bottom of the fence.

Nice idea Chula - thanks - we have a number of these in the garden already from a previously aborted projected - that's when we thought we might like a "proper" garden.

Glad you gave that idea up!  With a Husky around, there are very few who have managed to have that proper garden!