Work Progression

Stormy

I really thought i was getting somewhere with work now i feel slightly on the downside of it all.

I think some people see supermarket jobs as "not a proper job" or see it as lower than some other jobs.

Anyway i did not want to be a check out girl all my life i really did feel lower than low i am now feeling like im making progress stepping up to team leader which in convenience is a management role NOT just running a department. I am then aiming to go for store manager after signing this off.. unfortunately i have to go through the motions to get to this but i feel it will be well deserved i am hard working and determined :)

Any what i want to know is what are your opinions on people that work in supermarkets? Or in my case in convenience supermarkets (which is the smaller ones)

My opinion,

You work Hard for low pay.

Both Kells and I have worked in shops

I started behind the till and worked up to manager.

and Kells started on the shop floor and ended up as a shift supervisor.

Once you have management experience and especially if the put you through NVQ's

(I ended up with a level 3 retail management NVQ) Then you can parlay that into a much better managers job elsewhere. 

Keep at it.

I worked in Sainsbury's for a while and I worked in retail for years before I went into nursing. I think they are hard work and if you've never worked in either environment you assume it's a basic job. You should be very proud of yourself for taking the initiative and wanting to progress. if the opportunities are there why not? :D

After some of my shifts here at the hotel I do sometimes think, god why didn't I just go and work in asda or something would be much easier - then I think actually its probably not as easy as it looks. I don't think people who work in supermarkets are any lower down the "class" scale than I am, I am working class and proud of it. I work dam hard for my money, wether I work in a hotel a shop or an office, I think so long as you know in your heart that you do the best you can then it doesn't matter what avenue you take - a paid job that you enjoy doing is hard to find these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk