Luna Got Spayed Today

love4Luna

Oh, I feel so bad for her!!! I knew when I took her home that she'd be a bit calmer and sleepy, but oh my! The poor girl is just pitiful!! I know I did the right thing getting it done, but seeing her like this just breaks my heart. She refuses to eat or drink, and trying to get her antibiotics in her is nearly impossible.

I've taken her out to go potty a few times, I have to carry her, and then she just plops down in the grass. I know she must be miserable. She doesn't even barely budge in her crate. Oh, and she's thrown up a few times too.

I hope this passes quickly. I want her feeling better. I want her happy, bubbly, sassy little self back. :(

Aw, poor Luna! I hope she gets to feeling better & is back to her old self in no time! I'm sure in a couple of days she'll be ready to play and being a little ball of energy.

I'm not looking forward to getting Keira spayed... But it has to be done for my sanity and her health, lol.

They have a couple of days of feeling sorry for themselves,

then make your life a misery, because they don't see any harm in engaging in upstairs, downstairs leap over everything in the living room Zooooooomies.

and, 

you have to stop them :(

She is doing a bit better today. She talked to me some, so that's good. She was very thirsty, but puked it up almost immediately. I was able to get her pain meds down today, and I think that has helped. She has nibbled a little bit of food, and kept that down.

She did walk out on her own outside to do her business. I could definitely tell it pained her to do #2. She whined while she was straining. Poor girl.

But, she is on the mend. Getting better slowly but surely.

Side note, I knew they obviously had to shave her, but I wasn't expecting how much they did! Holy cow! All the way from her girly parts to her chest, and halfway up her sides. When my cat years ago got spayed, they just did the lower half of her underbelly, not her entire lower half, lol. I know it will grow back, she just looks quite comical at the moment...

Edited by love4Luna

Chula just got spayed two weeks ago, so I know exactly how funny they look! She's been shaved before for her obstruction surgery though so we were prepared for it. :) She also had IV fluids so her little leg was shaved too. 

Did they give you any sedatives for once she wants to start bounding around? They were invaluable to me because by day 3, Chula was ready to rumble. I kept her doped up good and I'm convinced it helped her heal quickly. 

Chula just got spayed two weeks ago, so I know exactly how funny they look! She's been shaved before for her obstruction surgery though so we were prepared for it. :) She also had IV fluids so her little leg was shaved too.

Did they give you any sedatives for once she wants to start bounding around? They were invaluable to me because by day 3, Chula was ready to rumble. I kept her doped up good and I'm convinced it helped her heal quickly.

No on the sedatives. :( I want some for her though. When in good spirits, she is ALL OVER THE PLACE! I did ask for some, but they didn't think it would be necessary. Hmmf, yeah whatever....

Maybe tomorrow, I may fib a little, call the vet up & tell them how hyper she is being. How a sedative may be in her best interest to keep her safe, hint hint, wink wink. Lol

It really helped me because there was just no way to keep her calm. But Chula also had to be cut open right over her old incision site so the vet was concerned it might take her longer to heal since the flesh there was already sort of weak and compromised.

I didn't use sedatives on any of mine. Cloud stayed calm for two weeks after, Yuki stayed calm for two weeks after, and Link stayed calm for about a week after.The sedatives weren't necessary, they were content to lay around. But maybe I'm the minority here..

Oh, and I'm sure your baby will be just fine in no time. :) She might really itchy where she was shaved though! I think the hair growing back has bothered Chula more than the getting cut open!

Oh I imagine!! I don't know exactly how it feels to get spayed, but I have had 2 c-sections. I was miserable, so I have to assume a spay is quite painful as well.

I didn't use sedatives on any of mine. Cloud stayed calm for two weeks after, Yuki stayed calm for two weeks after, and Link stayed calm for about a week after.The sedatives weren't necessary, they were content to lay around. But maybe I'm the minority here..

Not sure if you're in the minority, but there was absolutely NO way Chula was going to lay around for 10 days. She barely wanted to lay around with the sedatives. Even with all the chew toys, antlers and kongs in the world, she was ready to ZOOM. She probably gained 5 pounds just from all the treats she got in her kong to keep her from going nuts. I had to keep her on a leash to stop her from doing laps in the house. She only used sedatives from day 1-5, then they ran out and she did okay with just short walks a couple times a day - but she really really wanted out in the backyard and freedom to run.

I had to use the sedatives on Nikko and Yukon, especially Nikko!  He was dropped off at 8:30am and the vet called at 11 and said he was ready.  He slept for the afternoon, but by evening he was running and jumping on the couch.  I called the vet back and picked up sedatives the next day! 

I went with them right away with Yukon.  It was difficult because Nikko still wanted to play rough with him, so I slipped him one of them on te first day shhhhhH!