Tips For Vacation With The Dog?

Chula

In about a month we will be driving from Virginia to Minnesota - about 20 hours. The plan is to split up each drive over two days, with the longest day being 12-13 hours. Any tips for a long car ride with the pup? Her longest ride so far has been around 2 hours and she's nervous but not crazy.

Also, what about doggie on a pontoon? Does she need a life jacket?

What we know is the signs when both need to come out of the car for a toilet break or just to stretch their legs....which is ± every 2 hrs for our...and the for about 15 mins every time..and make sure they have a drink then as well....

on a pontoon that I do not know mine swim so with me I would say no.... :)

Yep agree, we drive for about 2 hours then let the pooches out for about 15 mins for a pee/poo break give them some water and treats.

another quick walk around for another pee then back in the boot (hatchback/trunk). repeat for the duration of the journey. :up:

She's never had a chance to swim so I don't really know what she will do. We spend a lot of time on the boat so I hope she doesn't hate it. She's not scared of loud noises so that gives me hope.

We only have rivers around here, no lakes close and I don't want to toss her in the river for her first swimming experience in case she can't and gets swept up!

This is the pontoon. It's really, really hard to sink or capsize a pontoon, but I still think I'd be more comfortable with her in a life jacket just in case she tries to chase a seagull and jumps off.

5rHOaYIl.jpg

I don't think I've seen many people at the lake with jackets on their dogs, but I don't mind being the odd man out if it makes mine safer. I don't wear one, but my nieces and all  other children always do. The boat doesn't exactly move along at warp speed though. 

I agree with the rest stops every 2 hours or so to stretch their legs.  The longest I have traveled has been 2 hours as well, and Nikko did fine. 

I would probably use a lifejacket.  first time Nikko met water was in a swimming pool and he took to it like a pro, but if for some reason the boat sank in the middle of the lake I don't know how long they would be able to swim for. 

Have fun on vacation!  Sounds like fun! Looks like you will be passing by my way too!

Yep! Will be driving right through West VA to Louisville, Kentucky, then to Gary, Indiana and then through Chicago area, then up to MN. I hate driving around Chicago though! Actually probably the first night we will stay in northern Indiana somewhere so that we hit Chicago on a Sunday morning with no traffic :)

We made the drive there a few years ago and at one point were driving through farmland and there were literally millions of fireflies in the brush along the interstate. It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen...though the truck was pretty nasty afterwards.

How cool! I actually live 10 miles directly south of Gary right off Interstate 65.  There are tons of hotels in Merrillville, which is the town I work in.  Its right between where I live and Gary.  I actually love driving in Chicago, it's a thrill LOL. Yeah Sunday morning would be much better for traffic.

Look on here for pet-friendly hotels:

http://hotels.petswelcome.com/indiana/merrillville/

Yep! Will be driving right through West VA to Louisville, Kentucky, then to Gary, Indiana and then through Chicago area, then up to MN. I hate driving around Chicago though! Actually probably the first night we will stay in northern Indiana somewhere so that we hit Chicago on a Sunday morning with no traffic :)

We made the drive there a few years ago and at one point were driving through farmland and there were literally millions of fireflies in the brush along the interstate. It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen...though the truck was pretty nasty afterwards.

I drive with our dogs from England to Poland across Europe which takes about 20 hours on a good run. I agree with two hours as a guide. I would also suggest you get a couple of baby screens that stick onto the car windows to pretect your dog from the sun. They are very cheap, but essential if it's sunny.