Beaver Kills Fisherman

Elyse

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/29/beaver-kills-man-belarus

:(

Sad. It's too bad...the beavers must not have any natural predators in the area to keep their populations in check.

But, I had to chuckle when somebody on another site commented: "Now I know why Canada has chosen the beaver as its national symbol. When they are left alone - all is fine. But when not...well, now we know."

lol like they was going to get rid of em by spraying water at them :rofl:  could just see them like this :booty:

lol - well, I think they don't want to cull them. But that's the problem - this is one of these situations when you have no choice: they NEED to be culled, because their populations are out of control. (due to lack of predators, etc) They are destroying all the forests and displacing a lot of other animals. 

The guy in the article says it wouldn't be challenging to sport hunt them because they are like 'sitting ducks' on their dams. So what? Put a price on their pelts - everybody likes money. 

very true

Like, I don't want to sound harsh (re-read that post, and it sorta came of that way), but if they don't do something about it the ecosystems over there are going to collapse. And other animals are going to suffer.

I love all animals, and it always hurts to see them killed/etc, but because they are overpopulated (and unless there is a way to reintroduce predators that were once NATIVE to the land), then culling is their only option. 

That being said...I don't think anywhere in that article it said he tried to grab it for a photo shoot? If so then...well...Darwin awards. But, still...condolences to his family. 

That being said...I don't think anywhere in that article it said he tried to grab it for a photo shoot? If so then...well...Darwin awards. But, still...condolences to his family. 

"The fisherman, who has not been named at the request of his family, was driving with friends toward the Shestakovskoye lake, west of the capital, Minsk, when he spotted the beaver along the side of the road and stopped the car. As he tried to grab the animal to have his picture taken, it bit him several times. One of the bites cut a major artery in his leg, according to Sulim. "

I thought Darwin award when I read that story, too.  They ay be overpopulated, but they are still wild animals and should be treated as such.

I can't speak to the European variety, but I know the American variety are very beneficial - they provide ponds t hold back flood waters, they limit the amount of undergrowth in the forests, .... okay, I'll quit. 

Putting a bounty on them is normally counterproductive since it's kill 'em all!  With no regard to where they might be. A beaver pond in the "back woods" is as apt to be trapped as one in someones neighborhood - one would be a nuisance, the other a natural benefit.

and yes, my sympathy goes out to the family of the fellow who was stupid enough to try for a photo shoot with a wild animal!

Nope - their tail is flat...for communication purposes (slapping the water), helps them to swim better (acts like a giant rudder, basically), etc.

More about them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_beaver

it came to me later that its the duck billed platypus that made a man severely ill if not killing him with a thing on its tail