Treating Diamond's Ear. Ouch!

mydiamond

It's been confirmed that poor Lil' Dime has open wounds on both of his ears--which is why the yellow discharge and foul smell strikes again. Called the vet yesterday and he said that he's gonna apply an antiseptic ointment on the wound. He also warns me that it's gonna hurt. Little did I know that it hurts A WHOLE LOT  :( poor Baby Dime screams his lungs out the entire time the vet was treating his ears :( :( what's even worse is I know the vet is doing nothing he's just cleaning the outer part of the ears and he's being really gentle too but Diamond is screaming so much you'd think we're beating him up   :( and now I'm asked to apply the very same hellish antiseptic twice a day for one full week!  :unsure:  I don't know if I can survive that week he's screaming so much it breaks my heart  :( is there any way of applying the antiseptic without hurting him as much? Maybe use cotton balls instead of Q-tips? Or, I don't know... anything? It doesn't look like the pain lasts long though. Once the vet is done messing with his ears, he lies down, eats his favorite treats and just be his usual self---as if the painful ear cleaning session never happened. Diamond is a real sweetheart. With so much pain, fear and confusion going on I thought he's gonna bite at some point but he didn't even try. I don't wanna test his patience though (and I really won't blame him if he bites in the future!) so if there is any way to apply this medication without hurting him so much... Please let me know :( thanks xxx

I've had to put stuff on one of our other dogs ears once and they did the same thing for them it was the antiseptic stuff itself that hurt them not the object used to put it on. Someone else might have an idea of something but I hope your poor little baby gets better soon xx