Overweight

Stormy

Right last time shadow went to the vets in October last year he weighed 30 kilos somehow he has become 34 kilos since then even though I have upped his walks quite alot since then.

So clearly walking is not working.

He is fed raw and has around 600 grams per day so I'm cutting this down to around 450 (one pack).

I'm also going to try get them to the off lead area once per week so they can get a good run around off the lead with other dogs also.

Also we are looking into getting a bike and running them :)

He is walked for around 3 - 4 miles per day and honestly I cannot walk much more than that as ill end up making myself ill so I think the best option is to add running into the equation.

Skye however is 24 kilos and bang on perfect according to the vet :) her body is what it should be for the breed. Very happy with this vet he seems to know his stuff regarding huskies and he gets a few in by the sound of it before he had weighed shadow he said straight away he is overweight and that they are a difficult breed to keep weight off unless you do run them etc walking just isn't always enough.

So any tips atall to help shadow lose some weight?

I grew up with a labrador who was very spoilt and got very overweight (40kg)

She was fed dry food which we swapped for a diet one from the vet, but as Shadow is fed raw and I'm no expert on raw feeding, I can't really advise on that part.

However what really made the difference for Samba was the exercise, I played with her a lot, we took her running, and even built a little agility course in the garden, she loved jumping the jumps so that helped a lot. Took about 6 months to get her to 30kg.

In Shadow's case I think the bike running will definately help, maybe if you bring Skye along too it'll help motivate him?

I also love taking Mishka up the woods for a run, a bit like cross country, ditches, trees to jump over, uphill, downhill etc :) I know it really gets Mishka thinking and excited so it might work for Shadow too?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Awww, poor Shadow.

Running on the Bike will help.

Cut down his food portions by a quarter.

That will help.

But don't worry too much he's not drastically over weight.

It's just a few pounds.

We know he get's good walks we've seen the photos. . . :)

Yeah there is no way I can walk anymore ill end up disappearing myself lol!!

I have cut his food as from today already basic way to explain it is he has one pack and a half of the raw meat per day he will now just get the one which works out at around 450 grams.

Going to take them to the secure off lead area tomorrow as I'm not at work :)

Lol :D

I'm not halving his food I'm taking away one third :) I will be bulking it with veg though so he still thinks he is getting as much as shadow will wine and wine and wine otherwise!

I do wonder if this is why he is so lazy all the time when were not out and about??

We've 3 Huskies and a GSD and their weight tends to vary according to what we feed (BARF but various like tripe, chicken wings/backs, liver, heart, etc) and to a lesser extent amount of exercise. So we just vary the amounts according to their condition (doing the 'rib check'), giving each more (or less) over a period of time

I think it's also my fault as as its been a bit warmer I didn't lower his food so ill just think a bit more now to!

Skye has more than shadow but I won't be lowering hers as she is very active most of the time and is perfect size currently :)

You have to check the marked area. You should touch and feel the bones with your fingers, whitout presure.If you rub around the skin should slide easy over the bones.Touch skinny dogs to get a felling.

If you keep in mind how dogs act, its often better to skip one day the week the feeding.

Dogs are very sensitiv about the amount of food they get. They tend to begging. And this procedure will run every day.

For the humans its better to ignore this behavior only for one day the week.

droid.tabatalk

post-10514-13701811602579_thumb.jpg

Okay I don't really want to take out food for one whole day per week unless it was really needed.

Yes you can't feel his ribs I already know this hence sorting out some running excersize Etc.

He had a great run around at the enclosed area today with other dogs we are aiming for this once per week we also went to look at bikes but I can't afford to buy one right this minute.

Okay I don't really want to take out food for one whole day per week unless it was really needed.

Yes you can't feel his ribs I already know this hence sorting out some running excersize Etc.

He had a great run around at the enclosed area today with other dogs we are aiming for this once per week we also went to look at bikes but I can't afford to buy one right this minute.

Look on gumtree for bikes, theres some real cheap ones on there, I found a good mountain bike for £35 :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2