Hello

JGxironman

I am a proud owner of an husky! I am from Alaska anchorage. I am military, United states air force, so I only have another two years here. I am currently enrolled in college for aerospace engineering and marine biology. 

My dog's name is Casper! He is very crazy but not talkive at all quite a strange dog. He was rehomed from what we believe was parents who just didn't have enough time for him. He is still a puppy and has a lot of training to go but I can't wait! He is a year and 3 months old now

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Michael and Casper.

I hope you make lots of new friends here and find any answers to why Casper is "Strange"

you may find that what is "strange" for a breed of dog you're familiar with is Normal for Huskies.

They can be quite the challenge but also a great joy.

post-1354-0-78175600-1369834144_thumb.jp

Welcome to both of you,  I'm a fairly new husky owner as well, my boys nearly 9 months old, and nothing like any dog I've ever had before,  huskys are a truly unique/weird breed. Thoroughly lovable, horrendously stubborn, highly intelligent ( I think my dog is smarter than I am ! ) and more fun than I ever imagined.  

Thanks! :) I've been reading a lot here, dogs really aren't my specialty. Casper is my first dog, since my parents never let me have one as a child I have always owned fish. Hence way I am pursuing a degree in marine biology. You'd be surprised that taking care of him is ten times easier then my collection of marine life.

My main issue right now is pulling other then that he is a good dog. He cuddles with us and is very sweet he will just lay in my wife's arms as we sleep every night, unless he is hot then he sleeps next to the sliding glass door. Which nicely enough the cold Alaskan nights works perfectly for him. Like I said I hope to get him trained up enough to pull a sled since you know Alaska is famous for that. And I feel like he would enjoy it the most since he runs very fast hard for me too keep up on long distance runs like my morning 2 mile run nearly kills me lol.

The cutest thing by far though is when I leave the house he will jump to every window he can see through to watch me leave. And when mommy leaves.. well nothing :P 

We have a sliding glass window upstairs that leads to a balcony that is his favorite place he will sit there and watch everyone like a little spy and never bark or say a word except look at them funny. And people will pass by and say awww look at the doggy, I think he knows people love him :P

That makes sense when you put it that way. I more or less want him to pull the sled as a treat for my wife :)  I've been training him with an atv so he can run as much as he wants but I remain in control until I feel confront able that he can take directions from me