Lunas First Experience Off Lead

emmaj87

so we decided to let luna off lead in a secure field (well kind of secure) and at first she ran around in all different directions but she didn't go too far and then came back to play with us :) so weve done it every night for the past week for 30mins each time, shes got tempted to walk into the next field where the sheep are but luckiy we got her back on lead, today we decided to take her to the beach, which in our area is just mainly grassland, she loved it and again did her usual run around then come back with us, but today their was a bird, and she ran after it for about 5 mins and got quiet far away, I wasn't to scared as I hoped she would come back if we kept shouting and as soon as the bird flew away, but my OH was screaming like a girl running after her lol and in the end she ran straight past him and came back to me and my daughters and remaind by my side, except she found sheep poo n ran off to eat it :( then came back (she eats things so quickly its hard to catch her) she normally stays by my side and I want  to try walking her back to the house(from field which is 5min walk) off lead but my OH says NO :( does anyone think she would be ok (obviously id be ready to put lead on at all times)

She's only 5 months old, she will still want to come back to you.

When she gets to 8+ months then she will begin to assert her independence.

Unless you are in a FULLY secure area, please don't trust her.

She's a husky.

And please not in a field next to sheep.

I know various people with non-huskies with proper recall that nearly lost their dogs on the beach. It's very easy for them to run off and not hearing your recalls because of the sea and wind. Last year I've been looking for a friends dog who lost hers on the beach. Was luckily found but only after 4 days. 4 days in which we had the worst storm, rain and thunder we've ever had. Both the dog and an army of people had to withstand the storm in other to find eachother again.

I wouldn't recommend ANY dog owner to have their dogs off lead on the beach. I hear stories like these a bit too often

I'm going to have to agree with your OH on this one I'm afraid. She is only young so will come back to you atm but as you have witnessed she runs after birds and may not come back straight away I'm surprised she hasn't run to the sheep she may do in future unfortunately.

I take mine to enclosed off lead areas but I wouldn't any where else.