Chula Escaped

Chula

She's never even tried before and we have pavers under the part of the fence that isn't to the ground. But she is small and in the ten minutes it took me to get dressed, she was gone.

Luckily a neighbor brought her back. We live a few houses down from an elementary school and a busy street. Shudder to think what could have happened.

I took her back to the yard and she immediately went back to where she dug under and tried to go there again. I stuck a couple pavers there but she's going to have to be tethered in the yard until we can come up with something more permanent. Cause now she knows how to get out and she won't ever forget.

I'm a little worried about what she may have eaten on her adventure but I didn't want to induce vomiting in case she ate something that could do damage coming up.

Bad Chula.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing unusual.

All Huskies will exploit the opportunities when they see them.

Glad you got her back safe.

Oh I know it's not unusual, I was just hoping that because she hadn't tried in the two months we've been there, that we might get away with her not trying! It's a BIG yard, it's going to cost a ton to put down something. She may just have to be tethered if she's out there on her own at any time. The problem is that even when I am out there with her, it takes her less than 15 seconds to dig a hole big enough for her to slip under!

Yep Skye will dig her way out if i leave her in the garden for even 10 minutes.... I have put bricks in place for now but really there needs to be something dug down but i cant afford it currently... so i just dont leave them un attended or i crate whilst i go for a shower etc. At the moment its nice as i can sit out with them :D

i buy quick cement and fill the holes under the fence line that way it's not expensive and it prevents them from being dug up again. honestly, i just don't leave Luka or Knox in the backyard without being out there though. i find that to be the easiest solution. i can tell them to stop digging if i'm out there.

Someone suggested I dig down and put in chicken wire but I"m afraid she'll cut her paws.

She isn't usually out there alone, but sometimes in the morning when she is going nuts I put her out there so she can run off some of her steam. I got a little too comfortable I guess. Glad it didn't end badly.

i buy quick cement and fill the holes under the fence line that way it's not expensive and it prevents them from being dug up again. honestly, i just don't leave Luka or Knox in the backyard without being out there though. i find that to be the easiest solution. i can tell them to stop digging if i'm out there.

That is a genious idea!

Glad you got her back!  I see she is still a handful LOL.  I would tether her up when outside too.  You can get a long tie out so she has room to explore.  When out at my friends I have a tie out for Nikko and a 100 ft cable for him.  I also just got a different kind of line where I can tie to two ends have have all 3 safely contained.

My boy got out the other day (my fault i left the back gate open) i drove round the streets for about 10 minutes loooking for him

I went back to my house and there he was sitting outside in the garden as if nothing was wrong

You can get a tie out stake that you put into the ground and a tie out cable and that might work better.  I would make sure it is cable and not cloth, because I know Nikko is able to chew thru any leashes to escape.  You would just need to make sure the stake is long enough, it should tell you the weight limit, mine are up to 100lbs.

Right now her tether is attached to a fence post and she gets all tangled up in the lawn furniture. She's not the brightest!

Good dog for going home! I think mine would have gone home with whomever gave her food and happily lived a new life with new owners. The guy who brought her back only walked into the yard and yelled through the window, so before I could get to the door and get her inside, he started walking away, and she followed him! I had to grab treats and use the emergency recall (which thank goodness WORKED!).

My boy got out the other day (my fault i left the back gate open) i drove round the streets for about 10 minutes loooking for him

I went back to my house and there he was sitting outside in the garden as if nothing was wrong

I have a few holes think ill do this!! Then i can take the bricks away :D

that's what i did. i had bricks in this big hole that luka did connecting to our neighbor's yard. i filled it and now it's not an issue. now if i could just figure out how to fill the holes in the middle of my yard :/

This is why, even if my yard was fully fenced in, Suka would still be on a tether. I just don't trust him - he IS a husky after all! 

The tether is just long enough so that he can touch the fence with his nose, but he couldn't dig under/jump over if he tried.

I got to the tethering portion of responses and thought I'd throw in what we do (until the fence is up for the girls). It worked well for us with Bo and now the girls.

We have a high tensil wire that runs from the overhang of the house to a tree in the backyard - about 10 feet high off the ground. Then we attached a long lead to the wire, putting stoppers on each end so they can't tangle around the tree. They can run to and fro without tangling up.

Hard to explain, but if you think about it a bit, you'll understand what I'm trying to say!

I got to the tethering portion of responses and thought I'd throw in what we do (until the fence is up for the girls). It worked well for us with Bo and now the girls.

We have a high tensil wire that runs from the overhang of the house to a tree in the backyard - about 10 feet high off the ground. Then we attached a long lead to the wire, putting stoppers on each end so they can't tangle around the tree. They can run to and fro without tangling up.

Hard to explain, but if you think about it a bit, you'll understand what I'm trying to say!

I do know what you mean and if I could not have mine loose in the yard then this would be the way I would have mine on a tether...