Jumpy, Bratty, Bitey Little Teenager.

Chula

I don't know what to do! Every time I am outside with her, she goes nuts and starts jumping and trying to bite at clothes. She actually bit me in the butt a few days ago (which OH found hysterical, but I did not). If I put the leash on her, she will yank on the leash and thrash about. I will put her in "time out", and she'll be good for five minutes, and then is back to jumping and thrashing. She will ONLY stop if I have treats or pull out the bitter apple - but I'm not going to reward her craziness with treats.  She used to only do it outside, but now she's starting to do it in the house.  She is trying to demand play-time.

Any other suggestions? I'm hoping this is her being rebellious and that as long as I keep her leashed and wait until she "sits" to let go, that she'll eventually stop - but I'm getting a little worried. When she got out this morning I noticed that she was jumping up on the guy who brought her back like she does in the backyard when she gets excited and wants to play.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If mine get like this which they dont now tbh but say if Skye starts jumping at me now i turn away from her with arms folded and completely ignore her until she stops then reward once left me alone :)

they will test you around that age.  Unfortunately it does not go away soon!  Nikko has alot of the same behavior that Chula has, and he is still a brat! 

Has Chula been to any formal training classes?  That may sometimes help, more for us as owners to learn techniques to get them to behave.  Mental stimulation can be good too.

We will be starting obedience training in July. I didn't want to start her on a class before we go on vacation and have her miss some of it, but she is absolutely going to start then.

If I turn my back to her and cross my arms, she'll just jump and nip at my rear. I know exactly what she wants, she wants me to chase her, but I won't be forced into play!

We will be starting obedience training in July. I didn't want to start her on a class before we go on vacation and have her miss some of it, but she is absolutely going to start then.

If I turn my back to her and cross my arms, she'll just jump and nip at my rear. I know exactly what she wants, she wants me to chase her, but I won't be forced into play!

Yeah... you wait till she stops skye will still jump at me if i turn round but its the fact im not giving ANY reaction that makes them stop

As Jason says, It's her age.

She simply at that age where she is discovering that she's not tied to you

and she's getting a sense of I want to try / do / experience.

She's full of beans

and. . . Most importantly.

She's a Husky.

I think you will notice an improvement when you go to some training classes. The trainers may have some different suggestions. 

Between 6 and 9 months old Nikko was a terror!  He actually got better once I got Yukon, but he can still be a pain.  Kodi is totally different tho, very calm and well behaved and he LISTENS!

She isn't TRYING to hurt, and she isn't clamping down or anything, but her little nips do hurt. She doesn't do it to everyone, and it's definitely happening when she's over stimulated.

Okay well i've gave you my advise :) Sure others will help you out also. Good luck.

When Panda used to nip and jump, we did the high pitch "ouch" sound and just turned around and ignored him, he will usually stop after a little while.

We would also play with it and stop on our terms, so he knew that when we wanted to stop it meant stop. Do some mental stimulation and teach a "leave it command".

We would do this a few times a day, we also made him wait for his dinner so he can learn to have patience. 

If he were persistant in jumping etc, we would give a loud firm NO, move him aside and walk away.

Thankfully Ryn never went through this stage - I firmly believe it was from her training which began as soon as her eyes opened. If the pups wiggled when picked up (or got nippy or over-stimulated as they got a bit older), they were given the command "settle". 

It began when you'd pick them up and they'd wiggle and squirm and we'd tell them "Settle". Once they quit squirming, they were released. As they grew and got nippy, we'd say "settle" and they'd stop. 

Ryn will be three next month and I still use "Settle" when she gets too crazy in the house. Works every time.

Ryn also knows when we say "Enough" that it means exactly that - Mom and Dad have had enough and it's time to stop.

Edited by Austinville

Thankfully Ryn never went through this stage - I firmly believe it was from her training which began as soon as her eyes opened. If the pups wiggled when picked up (or got nippy or over-stimulated as they got a bit older), they were given the command "settle". 

It began when you'd pick them up and they'd wiggle and squirm and we'd tell them "Settle". Once they quit squirming, they were released. As they grew and got nippy, we'd say "settle" and they'd stop. 

Ryn will be three next month and I still use "Settle" when she gets too crazy in the house. Works every time.

Ryn also knows when we say "Enough" that it means exactly that - Mom and Dad have had enough and it's time to stop.

Yeah, but you gotta remember Becky; Ryn is a pRYNcess.

We had a problem with Elka nipping our toes. A firm 'no bite' seems to have sorted it. She still occasionally does it but its not a daily occurrence now.  I think it was partly boredom so now do daily training with treats and play sessions regularly which she really enjoys. With lots of cuddles and petting Elka has really bonded with me especially. After reading up i also now don't let her outside until she is sitting calmly and i always go first through the door. I'm sure Chula will grow out of this :)

I didn't notice any progress with Luka while I ignored him for the longest time. Then it started paying off. We went into obedience class and it continued to get better. Him getting older has also helped. I had a really hard time with him and my boyfriend because he acted awful (always nipping his hands,etc.) with him but not with me. I had to let them spend time together and get to the point where Luka respected Josh, not only me. I know you're the major caretaker of her so I doubt that's really a problem though.

However, regardless if she's being rough intentionally or not, her nipping you (where it's causing you pain) is not acceptable. If luka gets too rough he gets a stern "Enough". Now at his current age if he accidently nips me he automatically releases my hand and starts licking me to apologize. lol

I love my dogs but at the end of the day they aren't going to nip me where it hurts me or knock me over running around like total lunatics.

I worked on trying to ignore her yesterday, and it worked about half the time. She'd jump up once or twice, see that I wasn't going to react, and then stopped and went back to sniffing. The other half of the time she would keep jumping and nipping, so I would say "no" then slowly walk away and go inside. Unfortunately she actually nipped me pretty good once in the back as I was walking away.  :unsure:  Not too happy about it.  It's very strange that it only happens in some settings. Mostly in the back yard. I think I need to go with a combination "no eye contact, no touching" and having her on the leash so I can give her a one-time "sit" command and then just stand there until she does.

I'm just not sure how much nipping I can take. I am a really sensitive person and bruise easily so things that don't hurt other people do hurt me. I think ignoring her will work long term, its just hard in the short term.

Ignoring her won't work with a behaviour that has become habitual. You absolutely cannot ignore her if she is hurting you, there is no way I would stand there and take a dog biting me and hurting me in the hope that it will eventually give up! The reality is that she has found success with the behaviour so she is going to keep doing it unless she is given a correction and learns a better way to get what she wants. She needs to learn some manners. I would be really surprised if this is an isolated problem and not a symptom of a bigger issue but that's not something that can be diagnosed over the internet with any certainty, so I would definitely recommend seeing a trainer one on one. A good trainer will show you how to get results quickly.