Keeping Cool

Val (Zebedee)

We are basking in some beautiful warm (and rare!) weather at the moment here in the UK, so how do you keep your huskies cool?

Paddling pool? Damp towels? Ice cubes in the water? what methods do you use & find work the best?

I know you're not supposed to pour water on the back of the dog so how do you cool your pooches down?

Mine prefers to stay inside the air conditioned home. :P

At the dog park, he lies around in the shade and is always near one of the water buckets. They know how to keep themselves cool - as long as there is shade/water and the weather isn't too humid. 

I'm curious, why are you not supposed to pour water on the backs? There's a husky at our dog park who whenever someone is by the water fountain she comes running over and bathes herself in the water, covering her head and back.. 

I'm curious, why are you not supposed to pour water on the backs? There's a husky at our dog park who whenever someone is by the water fountain she comes running over and bathes herself in the water, covering her head and back.. 

When you wet a dog's coat (those that have double-layered coats, the air pockets (used to keep the body warm/cool) 'go away'. So it is harder for them to keep cool.

And, correct me if I'm wrong but:

If you spray very cold water on a dog when they have heatstroke/are very hot...this can also have deadly effects. The body is 'shocked' by the cold water, and constricts blood vessels/does other things that conserves heat. This is the opposite of you what you want in a very hot dog. 

I believe this is also applicable to ice-cold water as well?

When you wet a dog's coat (those that have double-layered coats, the air pockets (used to keep the body warm/cool) 'go away'. So it is harder for them to keep cool.

And, correct me if I'm wrong but:

If you spray very cold water on a dog when they have heatstroke/are very hot...this can also have deadly effects. The body is 'shocked' by the cold water, and constricts blood vessels/does other things that conserves heat. This is the opposite of you what you want in a very hot dog. 

I believe this is also applicable to ice-cold water as well?

Hmm, so if you were by a creek or lake on a hot day, would you prevent your dog from swimming?

Hmm, so if you were by a creek or lake on a hot day, would you prevent your dog from swimming?

No, because the creek/lake would be closer to the ambient temperature. I'm talking about if you spray your dog with ice-cold water. 

Again...take what I say about this stuff with a grain of salt. Suka's never been intentionally wet his entire life - so I'm just spouting off what I hear from others. 

storm loves to go play in the river.

we do paw dips in buckets to bring core temp down as dogs loose heat thro paws.

we do iced treats and icecubes

fresh cold water as often as needed.

they dont really use the pool anymore.

Paddling pool, iced treats and cubes, plenty of shade/access to cooler areas, fresh water. The usual in other words. They generally know how to keep themselves cool to be honest, although Ice does like to sunbathe a fair bit. Bear on the other hand lives in the shadows, she overheats quickly.

I put some ice cubes in bears water yesterday,  he pulled them out, batted them around the kitchen for a while till the floor was nice and wet then attacked the mop when I tried to clean up !  He alternates between outside the back door in the sun or behind the front door where it's sheltered and always cold.  Some days more inside, some outside,  unless of course he sneaks on the sofa when no one's looking !

No, because the creek/lake would be closer to the ambient temperature. I'm talking about if you spray your dog with ice-cold water. 

Again...take what I say about this stuff with a grain of salt. Suka's never been intentionally wet his entire life - so I'm just spouting off what I hear from others. 

Oh no worries! I wasn't trying to sound weird or anything I was honestly wondering. I had never heard that before and obviously don't want to put my dogs in any harm just because I didn't know better.

As Australia is much hotter than many others so I have been doing some research, here is a link that shows some interesting products

http://www.k9pro.com.au/categories/Cooling-and-Warming/Cooling-Products/

and this one, recently won a best new product award in Australia

http://www.coolweave.com.au/k9_cooling_vest.htm

As Australia is much hotter than many others so I have been doing some research, here is a link that shows some interesting products

http://www.k9pro.com.au/categories/Cooling-and-Warming/Cooling-Products/

and this one, recently won a best new product award in Australia

http://www.coolweave.com.au/k9_cooling_vest.htm

I like the idea of the crate cooling fan, I have a stand up unit fan that I keep on the boys when they're in their crates and am at work

Having said that my lot have been sunbathing in it this week lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

My 2 just regulate them selves...come indoors when it gets to hot for them and when they have cooled down enough go back out and sunbath.....we just make sure that their water is refreshed every hour...