Hi

Barkers23

Hi guys new to the site and first time Husky owner.

Skyler is 10 weeks old and settling in nicely.

photo_zps4a315198.jpg

photo1_zpsea0124f1.jpg

photo2_zps98ef66c0.jpg

loving the site so far.  have picked up some very interesting information so far.

have been crate training her since she arrived.  shes fine left in the crate for a couple of hours and sleeps in it at night but she wont go in there of her own accord.  if im in the living room and she wants to sleep she will go pretty much anywhere except her crate.  is this normal?

only other issue is the mouthing/nipping.  guessing this is a teething thing? ive tried the yelp method when i feel she is getting a bit rough but that just seems to wind her up even more...

any pointers on these issues would be appreciated.

Gareth

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the best husky site EVER!!!! Trust me I have looked other places and they aren't as good as here.

As for the crate, Balto is going through the stage where he will go in when he wants but not when we tell him. However, try feeding her in there so she associates that as a positive place. Encourage her with treats. Have her go in there and don't close the door and praise when she starts to go in by herself. I am guessing that right now she views it as the place she has to go that she gets locked in. So feeding her in there and randomly putting treats in there are great ways for her to go in there, however, she may just be stubborn and want to be out when the door is open and she knows she can be out.

As for the biting... some of it is teething. Balto was a terrible mouther when we first got him. Here are a few things you can do and I will put in parentheses which one was best for us.

1) Yelping for some that works but for Balto that just excited him more and made him bite more

2) Get up turn your back and ignore, even if they bite at your legs butt etc don't give in eventually they get it that they don't get their way and play time is over

3) Time out, this is what worked for Balto well one thing, when she bites and you try something else take her in another secluded room such as a bathroom or a room that is babygated where she can still see you (this one is more effective) dogs HATE being separated and if they see you having fun they get the hint that in order to stay in the room and have fun that includes not biting. It make take quite a few times before they associate time out with not biting. 

4) take bitter apple spray and spray in their mouth when they go to bite. It isn't harmful to them but it tastes terrible

5) Squirt them with water between the eyes

6) Clamp their mouth shut and say no bite (this also worked will with Balto) so now when he gets excited we say no bite and he gets it

7) Put them on a leash so when they bite you can make the leash shorter so they cannot bite you and ignore them (this also worked with Balto).

Welcome to the pack :-) at 10 weeks old she won't be teething , they don't teeth till 4/5 months , it's just puppy play , what worked for me was a firm no and ignoring till pup was calm , but what also works is yelping like their siblings would if she was to nip them n it hurt them

Welcome to husky  owners and thank you for sharing the pictures, what a beautiful pup!  

I can't really help with crate training as I only managed to train one of the two with that and he was easy. 

I tried yipping with Ice when he nipped (he still does now but not to the same extent or frequency as before).  When he was a pup, yipping made him bite me more which was frustrating but he hated to be ignored.  So when he bit, I said no in my firmest "don't mess with me" voice and then walked away from him and ignored him for a while.  He hated that and it seemed to work for a while. Overtime he seemed to  mostly outgrow the whole "I'm gonna eat you at every available opportunity"thing, so now he only does it when he gets overexcited and always give you a warning first.  When he starts shouting "awoooawooawoo" in your face, you know he's going to chomp on your ear/arm/chin etc...and can usually verbally stop him before he starts.  Usually, not always.  lol.   As an almost adult, he now ironically responds quite well to yipping, don't ask me why but one thing I do know about Ice is that he can be a bit slow on the uptake in most areas compared to Bear.  Bless him. 

Hello and welcome she is a very pretty girl and them eyes are just wow! I also use my "mummy" voice (works better with my furbaby than my son  :S) and say no bite.

Welcome to you both. Oh those eyes. They must melt your heart. What a cute pup.

thanks very much for the warm welcome and plenty of tips :)

will try a few out when i get home from work.

planning on enrolling her in puppy classes in the next week or two.  theres a local one that friends have reccomended.

Hiya Gareth, welcome to Husky Owners :wave:  you certainly have a cute pup there! You have been given some great advice, just remember it's not one rule for all, it's trial & error as to what works with Skyler but you will get there & you now have a family of over 10,000 members to help you too ;)

Welcome to the pack!  You have gotten great advice!  I had problems crate training at first too, Nikko would howl and whine when I would leave him.  Now he puts himself in his crate!  Good luck on training classes too!  I think training is VERY helpful!

Firstly :hello: and :welcome: to husky owners. Skyler is a lovely looking pup and from what I've seen you have been given some great advice. However, one thing to always remember, she is a Husky. She has a mind of her own and will only do something if she sees a point to doing it. It is always more difficult to train a husky than a lesser breed so patience will be a great asset. You will find that everything will come together once you find the way that works for Skyler. Oh yes,and remember, she owns you not the other way round :D . Good luck with the training and if you have any questions, doesn't matter how daft you may think it is, always ask. There are owners on here with a wealth of experience of this wonderful breed and someone will always endevour to help you out.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...