Husky First Aid Kit

sarahjng

Does anyone make them, or have you made your own ? Looking for suggestions on what to put in mine, any ideas welcome,  as I will be starting from scratch, I'm really spoilt where I live as my vet is less than 5 minutes walk, but they aren't open 24hrs a day, so some stuff I'm going to need at home.

From a quick search, here's what the pets at home first aid kit contains:

2 x 20ml Pods of Saline - to wash away dirt and debris from your pet's eyes and other areas;

2 x Medium Dressing Bandages with Ties - to cover an injury;

1 x Foil Blanket - to retain body warmth and help combat shock;

5 x Gauze Swabs - for cleaning up fluid or after saline use;

1 x Microporous Tape - to help hold dressings in place;

1 x Conforming Bandage - for use with suspected sprained joints;

2 x Pairs of Latex Gloves;

4 x Plastic Pouches - to cover foot injuries and help keep them clean;

4 x Alcohol Free Cleansing Wipes - to clean wounds;

1 x Scissors;

1 x Tweezers.

I'd probably add wound powder too

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I didn't realise pets did a kit might be easier to buy that as a basic and add to it, thanks guys,   

I would also add a bottle of Piriton Syrup for treating wasp and bee stings among other things.

Gary.

Do you get the dog to drink it or rub it on ?

I would also add a bottle of Piriton Syrup for treating wasp and bee stings among other things.

Gary.

I agree an anti-histamine is a good addition as reactions can be so quick!

I'm sure the tablets would do the trick the same as the syrup, but might be easier for some dogs to take as the pills are so small!

I recall when out lurcher was a pup she reacted bad to something, may have been a sting, and he face swelled so quickly we rushed her to the out of hours vet and after an injection she was soon back to her usual self. But now if that was to happen again I know I could treat her easily at home and save a small fortune! But at the time without that knowledge we did exactly the right thing for Belle

I didn't realise pets did a kit might be easier to buy that as a basic and add to it, thanks guys,   

Do you get the dog to drink it or rub it on ?

They drink it.

I agree an anti-histamine is a good addition as reactions can be so quick!

I'm sure the tablets would do the trick the same as the syrup, but might be easier for some dogs to take as the pills are so small!

I recall when out lurcher was a pup she reacted bad to something, may have been a sting, and he face swelled so quickly we rushed her to the out of hours vet and after an injection she was soon back to her usual self. But now if that was to happen again I know I could treat her easily at home and save a small fortune! But at the time without that knowledge we did exactly the right thing for Belle

Tablets or syrup. I found that the syrup seemed to work quicker. Like you I found out the hard way. Got a phone call at work to say that Skye, yes it had to be her didn't it, had been rushed to the vet as all her face had swelled up. It would seem that she didn't just get stung once she was caught actually chewing on a wasp. Multiple stings in her mouth and she didn't bat an eyelid. The vets gave her an injection but also said to get the Piriton syrup as it acts fairly quickly. Low and behold a week later Skye did it again, just doesn't learn that one, gave her Piriton syrup and it acted straight away.

Gary

I have Q-tips, scissors, facial cottons, Otolin (ear drops), hydrogen peroxide, Betadine (iodine; to treat wounds), Norit (charcoal pills), Benoson (antiseptic cream for open wounds on ears) and baby oil (to clean ears). Not too much of a first aid kit but that's what I currently have on "Diamond's shelf".. and since ear infection is what we're currently dealing with so ear meds are dominating the shelf. Looking to improve the kit though

They drink it.

Tablets or syrup. I found that the syrup seemed to work quicker. Like you I found out the hard way. Got a phone call at work to say that Skye, yes it had to be her didn't it, had been rushed to the vet as all her face had swelled up. It would seem that she didn't just get stung once she was caught actually chewing on a wasp. Multiple stings in her mouth and she didn't bat an eyelid. The vets gave her an injection but also said to get the Piriton syrup as it acts fairly quickly. Low and behold a week later Skye did it again, just doesn't learn that one, gave her Piriton syrup and it acted straight away.

Gary

Ahh I didn't know syrup acted quicker, I always have both in for my non fur babies, so its good to know which one to opt for if needed!

I'm sure if Mia got the chance she would also eat a wasp as her favourite game at the moment is catching flies!

Poor Syke, not once but twice.........she can't have it all...brains and looks, lol!

Can you give dogs people meds like pepto and bendryl ?

Yes.  Check with your vet on their weight and the amount to give.  The benedryl pills and liquid is safe as long as that is all that it is (for stings and insect bites).  The pepto is percription and disolves in water.  I would not give the human kind of pepto.  They can also have human motion sickness medications (draminine) once again check with the vet on the amount per weight.  They can also be given peroxicide to drink when they eat nastys that can cause intestional blockage if digested.  It will cause vomiting within minutes.