Finding A Good Trainer

Chula

None of my friends with dogs have ever done one on one training - they've just done the petsmart/petco training classes - so I don't have any one to ask.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

Nikko also went to PetSmart training.  They had some experience with huskies.  What you could do is just sit in on a training class and observe.  They will let you do that, and if they don't, well you know not to go there!  That way you can see their techniques. 

In addition to asking if they had husky trainng experience, you can also make sure they use positive reinforcement.  What I would do is talk to a trainer and let them know the issues you are having and see what they say.  I think just getting a feel for what the trainer is like would help you make a decision.

With Yukon I wanted to try something new so I took him to a local dog trainer, and I wasn't as happy with her as I was with PetSmart.  She was not as hands on and didn't provide as much one on one time. 

I took mine to PetSmart - there are mixed feelings about them out there. Some experiences are good (like ours), and others are bad. 

Just sit in a class, and ask lots of questions...we were lucky because our's was experienced with huskies.
But be aware they work on commission, so they'll be trying to sell you classes regardless. 

I used a private trainer recomended by our vet.  She had over 20 years experience.  I checked with others prior and was not finding ones that made me feel secure and confident.  I went with experience, refrences, sucess rates, and over all the way I wanted my dog trained not how they wanted my dog trained.  And she made house calls if needed. 

My problem was that other trainers did not want my dog on my furnature or bed.  I DID!  They wanted a feeding schedule.  I DID NOT! as I work all 3 shifts a week usually and am never home at the same time on a daily basis.  I think it is importaint to find someone who will work with you and has alternate ideas when one does not work.

I was very lucky with Rio, i met a woman who trains huskys she has 5 of her own, she has him once a week for training and walks

All the dogs are off lead and there recall is fantastic, Without her i don't if i could have managed to control him as he's quite a lively boy

I took Ryn to training, not because of issues, but because she was bored. I began by calling area vets offices and asking for recommendations and information. I called the first, who wouldn't touch a husky. The second's response was "Of course I'll take a husky." {Encouraged at this point} "All huskies aren't stupid"  {Thanks, but no thanks!} 

The third was a trainer/behaviourist who had absolutely no experience with Sibes - actually spends most of his time training hunting dogs. HOWEVER, he was willing to take on a husky, willing to learn about the breed and willing to take the challenge. Once we got past  the 'we'll do this off-lead' things were fine.

Best thing I've ever done and I recommend him to other husky owners on a daily basis. We did one-on-one. He would take Ryn for a few minutes, showing her what he wanted  (after discussing with me what I wanted out of the sessions and basing the 'curriculum' on that) then it was my turn. Honestly, it was more for me than the husky!

She walks at hip now, when requested to do so; she sits in place (I don't use sit/stay - I use only sit as I expect her to sit until released); I can throw high value treats around her and she won't touch them even when released (treats  on the ground are trash and not to be consumed - a safety precaution for the idiots who put crap in treats in public places that we might be in) and while she's not 'off-lead', she does quite well thinking she is as she drags her 100 foot lead behind her and even comes back when called.

The key is to work with them consistently after the training. Ryn loved going to "school" as we called it. To the point of screaming with excitement. 

When you find a good trainer, it may not be the one you first expected. But trust your self a bit and you might end up being amazed. 

As for Petsmart classes, sure, you'll find an occasional excellent trainer - but keep in mind that the majority of them are just the average employee who's taken their "Train the Trainers" course...........