Stop Nipping, Start Listening

CPWK13

Hey, all! I've been having some slight issues with Kato and his nipping. So far, he hasn't ever done it in a mean way, only when excited or when he wants to play. I know that we cannot let this behavior continue, for when he gets older and larger, it may become a problem. He has gotten better at nipping Peter (my boyfriend, Kato's daddy), but he still nips at me quite often. I like to take him outside and run him around the yard, wrestle with him a little, and get him so exercise. I always expect some nips when we wrestle, but not when we run or play with toys.

To me, it almost feels like a dominancy issue. He almost never listens to me on first or second command, like he doesn't take me seriously, but will always do exactly what he is told the first time Peter tells him to do it. I'm frustrated at the fact that he doesn't see ME as his master too, and that he thinks he doesn't have to listen to me.

Any tips or ideas on how to get him to stop nipping and start listening?

I had a terrible time with Mia when she was younger nipping at me. As I was the main person who played with her I was often the one she nipped the most. I reacted with a loud each time it occurred, but at one point it became an almost constant thing with her. I dealt with this by placing her into time out for a few minutes each time, and eventually she learnt the nipping was not acceptable, although it di take several months of consistently placing her in time out before it clicked that the nipping was not going to be accepted. 

I've tried yelping like puppies do when they are playing and get one another too hard. I read that it would work, because it would startle the pup, but he only thought I was playing more, so I didn't try that one again. I also tried nose smacking (nothing too hard, but enough to make him stop and look at me like, "What did I do?!"), but that only worked the first couple of times, then it became a game to him. I will have to give time-outs a try. What do you recommend for time-outs? Crate?

No its not recommended to crate them during time-out as the crate should be seen as a positive place to go, otherwise they my become upset when crated at night time or whilst you are out. I put Mia into my kitchen for time out, behind a safety gate though as I found if I closed the door she would scratch at it like mad. When she was a pup I would only leave her for a few minutes in time-out, but would never let her out if she was crying as this can reinforce that crying gets them let out!! Also consistency is essential, you have to time-out every time they nip, now this is hard work and really time consuming, but it will pay off in the long run so stick with it.

Another thing I used to do in play was if she nipped I would say "no, get a toy" then I would fetch a toy and place it in her mouth. Mia now knows if she wants to play rough she has to have a toy rather than my hand in her mouth, again it took time but we got there.

Skye used to nip me all the time to get my attention all i did is when she did it i just stood up and turned my back on her or just walk away and pay no attention to her, there smart dogs so when they see that if they nip they wont get any reaction / attention from it they wont see the point in doing it etc you just have to be persistent and and do it every time, hope you sort it out soon :)

skyler is pretty bad at nipping/mouthing when playing with her at the moment.

she doesnt just come up to me and start chewing me for attention though.

its mad as anyone we meet on the street she is nice as pie with and doesnt try to mouth them at all :/

puppy traning classes start tomorrow so will see what the trainer suggests.  have tried a mixture of yelping, taping on nose and time outs to no great effect so far.

i know i need to pick one and stick to it.

We're having the same problem. She's fine if she plays with me and I yelp if she's a bit too hard, she'll always kiss me better. But its when I'm walking around the house (especially in a long skirt!) and she nips at my feet and clothing, and its really only me she does it to. Think we're going to try putting a gate up and giving her a time out, that sounds like a good idea. Can't wait for my shins to start healing :)