Is It Normal To Feel Like This??? Arrgggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

markquinton

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes she was spayed last week.

I always make sure she gives both paws before I give her any food and she leaves food on command until I tell her. In most aspects shes pretty good but not during walks,

With regards to the behaviourist, we did go to training which was run by one and jazz was always good then. If i'm honest we are very skint and I think it would be unfair to spend even more money on Jazz than I already do, but I completely understand you point and I might have to do it if nothing works.

I don't know what the answer is which I guess is the problem, I have no idea how to stop her attacking me and one think I do know is trying to stop her by restraining her makes her 10 times worse and the just mouths me endlessly afterwards. Her eyes glaze over and I can tell seconds before when it's about to happen. Like I said I love her but don't like her and it's not a nice feeling.

I know, trouble is when she does it the whole thing makes me so angry (and i'm the most passive person ever!) that its so hard not to try and correct her. The mouthing and nipping hurts too much to ignore but I might just have to try somehow. It's her pure size that makes it hard, mally pups are still very big and strong!

I've found a temporary answer...I'm off to the pub for an hour!! :)

Pub is a good idea :) 

I know its hard but something needs to be done and as you know the approach you are taking at the moment is not. Ignoring will be very hard but even just walk into a different room use a dog gate if you have to so pup cant follow and anytime pup does this you walk away and everything stops they soon learn that that behaviour stops all play etc and they get no attention! 

Going to be harder on a walk unfortunately pup may create but you really do need to try your best to give no reaction atall as hard as it is. Wear tough gloves or even a whole body suit lmao

Will she stop for a treat? Like if she starts mouthing and jumping at the leash, if you tell her to "sit" and show her a treat - will she? 

Also, could you work on "settle" when she is in the house? It's one of the commands we hadn't taught (regrettably) and we are starting to work on it at home. It does require me to hold her though until she calms down. She's learning it quickly because she likes treats.

Thinking about it she struggles with any form of active exercise. Running in the garden. Chasing a ball, running with me on a lead...they all result in her mad bouts of jumping up and mouthing, nipping etc

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

I feel ur pain!! When Meeko was around the same age he really was a pain in the bum in nearly everyway! And I tried in everything I'd been researching n for so long before i got him and nothing changed but if it makes u feel better Meeko is now 14 months and slowly he has just stopped doing things he used to. We are still working on certain things but it does get easier!!!:):):). Meeko is lucky I love the pants off him lol

When I get another addition I'm defo skipping the puppy but and adopting:):)

Thanks all, I bought s canny collar head collar this week hoping it might give me more control but because she hates it over her nose in some ways it makes her mote frustrated and more likely to attack me. I tried a 2 point easy walk harness which improved her walking but when she would jump at me the harness doesn't give much to control her with due to where the connection points are for the leash..

Sent from the pub....

Ares is currently 5 months old and he has those "Screw it, I go nuts now" moments. Sometimes when we're out on a walk, he would suddenly just start pulling in every direction, then start running up and down like crazy, lie down for a few seconds, rip off the grass then come at me and start mouthing my arm. The first time he did that, I accepted as a game, but when he continued I started making him sit down by grabbing his collar and tapping him on his butt so he can get the idea that he has to sit.

He still goes nuts like that, so far he managed to make holes in 3 t-shirts and a pair of shorts. He usually starts doing that when I sit down on the ground, no idea why. When it gets too rough I stand up and just try to ignore him, usually he jumps up a few times and then sits down.

Best of luck, Mark, I hope that you will manage to figure it out quickly, paws crossed for you!

That sounds similar. Although there is no way I could encourage jazz to sit. From what I've seen a 7 month old mally is significantly larger than a husky of the same age. For some just walking through long grass makes jazz excited like you describe.

Really appreciate all the support. Wish there was an active mally forum as busy as this!

Sent after 2 pints and a third on its way lol

Mark I am really sorry you feel so frustrated by Jazz :( As I said in my earlier posts it will click into place with her I'm positive. The ignoring does seem to work with Kodiak as there's nothing a Mal hates more than being ignored. Maybe you could speak to the breeder to see if they have experienced anything like this with any of theirs? They may be able to offer some advice, if they do feel free to pass it on :D

So an update...

I'm not going to get too excited just yet but I think we're making progress, Like many people said, I needed to change what I was doing and take a different approach. So I decided that instead of walking her around the village past all the houses and alongside the main road where there are cars, and a lot more noises I thought i'd walk her down the woodland paths in near our house where she could explore and enjoy the peace and quiet. I also decided that there I wouldn't be embarrassed if she jumped up and start mouthing me. Well I must say what an improvement! She did try on a couple of occasions to attack me (playing) but I just stood still and ignored her no matter how much it hurt. The woodland walks seem to of made her much calmer and we are currently enjoying her walks. I have realised that previously restraining her was making her much worse and I am also now much better at reading the signs when she starts to get overexcited and about to lose control.

Like I said i'm not going to get carried away but so far so good.

JazzWalk3.jpg

JazzWalk2.jpg

JazzWalk1.jpg

That's brilliant to hear Mark, baby steps, yeah, but in the right direction.  I'm just going to throw this into the mix,  what does she eat ?   Bear is just over 9 months and he's fairly big, (63lbs at last weigh in) and he was a right git when we were out, pulling, mouthing, jumping.  Then, after reading on her about raw diets I changed him over and the difference is stunning,  instead of pulling constantly now it's only with reason ( pidgeon ! Cat ! Mum I need a tree ! )  he only jumps t certain people now and the mouthing is a good 80% less.  Yes it could be he's simply growing up and the training is starting to kick in, but such a drastic change in a month ?  It might help jazz as well, there are some threads here, have a read