Is It Normal To Feel Like This??? Arrgggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

markquinton

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like others I have shed a few tears of frustration and sadness at my dogs behavior. I just love her so much and want the best for her but occasionally feel its all going wrong and my fault. But i think we are now over the worst although last nights zoomies on the lead in front of a well behaved lab and its owner was quite embarrassing  :blink:

Glad things are improving!

One other suggestion.  

When I got Neb I had two German Shepherds and was looking a Malinois to do French Ring with, but I fell in love with the little boober and thought he'd grow up to be the perfect running buddy (sort of, as it turns out).  

But I also decided to do French Ring (which is a protection sport) with Neb.  As it turns out, he's a little too independent-minded for it, but we worked a lot on bringing out drive with him.

Puppies will mouth, and do all of that, because they're still young. I didn't want to discourage it in Neb, so I'd redirect - onto a toy, or a rag.  I even brought toys with me on walks.  He did as he got older learn to settle on the leash, but he'd still have his foolish puppy moments.

I don't know, just thinking that redirection is something to try - it's a positive way to stop the biting and mouthing of you.  

hi everyone this is my first post here though been reading for weeks, I have the same problem ice is a 13 month old sibe we got him from a rescue at 6 months, his nipping was unbearable my legs were black and blue I put this down to him being a puppy and did everything i'd read, now he's older his nipping my legs has stopped but when on a walk he to lunges at me grabs me basically goes mental tugging the lead and pulling me. nothing I do will calm him down till he himself decides to stop, I love him with all my heart but this problem is really getting me down. I have been reading all the posts on this issue and have done everything advised but now i'm at the end of my tether. help.

hi everyone this is my first post here though been reading for weeks, I have the same problem ice is a 13 month old sibe we got him from a rescue at 6 months, his nipping was unbearable my legs were black and blue I put this down to him being a puppy and did everything i'd read, now he's older his nipping my legs has stopped but when on a walk he to lunges at me grabs me basically goes mental tugging the lead and pulling me. nothing I do will calm him down till he himself decides to stop, I love him with all my heart but this problem is really getting me down. I have been reading all the posts on this issue and have done everything advised but now i'm at the end of my tether. help.

first off welcome to the forum , I don't have any advice myself but hopefully others will , have you maybe thought of getting a trainer in? I heard chain leads help as they don't like the feel of it on their teeth but not sure how well this works

thanx for the reply, I may get a short chain lead I've tried everything else  I cant stop him walking infront of me so maybe a shorter lead will be better. I just want to enjoy our walks instead of dreading them,he is so stubborn and strong, I have thought about a trainer if only I had more money.

I know how you feel. It has got me really down on a few occasions. Mainly because I know she is not a aggressive girl but other people must think she is. It's like she has the zoomies whilst walking but my arm is the play thing and gets mouthed quite hard. I'm trying the redirection and most of the time i'm managing to control it better but then out of the blue she will do it again. Already lost one jumper this week which she has ripped and my arm has scratches all over. I'm determined not to be beaten by this though and hope it's something she will grow out of.

thanx for the reply, I may get a short chain lead I've tried everything else  I cant stop him walking infront of me so maybe a shorter lead will be better. I just want to enjoy our walks instead of dreading them,he is so stubborn and strong, I have thought about a trainer if only I had more money.

I find walking mine on a traffic handle helps LOADS - he doesn't pull as much as he used to, and its much easier to correct him when he does. 

short lead came today it did make a difference to the walk ice couldn't criss cross in front of me, also it was as if he new he couldn't get anywhere any quicker, i'm hoping this will work tomoz  and I wasn't just having a lucky day. I have also ordered pet corrector for when he tries to rip my arm off on walks mind you he didn't do it today, he waited till we got home then went into a mental.