Interested In A Siberian Husky

Corey A

I'm interested in purchasing a puppy from a reputable breeder, I do support shelters but I'd prefer a papered dog I could train on my own and enter in shows.  I have enough land and high enough fences to keep one plus I personally have tons of free time with a dog park nearby so he/she would never be bored.

Does anyone know of any breeders in Northern California, and would I be able to get a puppy for around $400? Doesn't necessarily have to be papered but as long as the breeder is still reputable and has health guarantees.

welcome to the forum , unfortunately we cannot give you any links to breeders as it against the forum rules , however i do hope you'll stick around n let us know how you progess with your search , be warned to if you do want to show your dog , there will be a waiting list for puppies by any reputable breeder worth getting a show puppy from , hope youll keep us updated and show us pics of your pup when u finally find him/her :) 

Well I probably won't get a show puppy then, but I'd just like one that has good genetics. BYB creations lead to so many health issues...

I will update if I do find a puppy and I'll put some pictures up!

Well I probably won't get a show puppy then, but I'd just like one that has good genetics. BYB creations lead to so many health issues...

I will update if I do find a puppy and I'll put some pictures up!

you might it might just mean waiting a little while longer , but yeah even if you dont get a show puppy its good your looking into one that has been properly bred, with the parents being hipscored n everything , most dont bother with all of that , they just want a pup , so its good you are :) 

Welcome to the forum.  Finding the right breeder can be difficult.  There are so many that have Web sites that have all the polish and luster, and you'd think this is the one.  But as you start to look deeper into things, it becomes obvious, while it may be the one, it's the one to stay away from.  Not all are like that of course, but you have to really be picky when choosing a breeder.  Quality and quantity don't usually go hand in hand.  If you find a breeder with a lot of litters, it should be obvious that they are in it for the money.  Same with breeding pairs.  If they have more than three breeding pairs, I have always looked elsewhere.  A breeder that is reputable, will ask you some pointed questions, they may require you to provide references from a vet, or they may insist that you have the pup spayed or neutered before giving you the application for kennel papers.  Also, you need to realize, the UKC (United Kennel Club), WKC (World Kennel Club), and AKC (American Kennel Club) all have different criteria for issuing papers.  Also, having papers on a dog, does not guarantee that the dog is quality.  There are no sure things.  So, do your homework, research, look around on the forum.  Ask all the questions you want, and we will do our best to answer them to help you out.  It's a daunting task for some to go through the process of searching for a Husky.  But the rewards are priceless.  Good luck.

hi welcome to the forum! Can't help with your husky hunt because I live outside the US, but I'm glad to hear you're very concerned about the kind of breeder you're purchasing from :) the AKC official website lists breeders that are registered to them (usually means these breeders are reputable) and I'm sure they have a long list on the siberian husky section. In case you haven't checked it out yet maybe you can give it a shot :)

oh and by the way in case you hasn't, I suggest you to read up a bit about this breed before purchasing any pup. They're different than any other breeds much more challenging IMO  :lol: they're just so demanding but at the same time independent. So robust and versatile but at the same time fragile.. with their sensitive tummy and all. These huskies are truly a one-of-a-kind :) so yeah a little bit of reading and chit chat with future fellow husky owners is highly recommended :)

Enjoy your stay! 

I don't think you'll get a show dog for $400. And you probably can't even get a dog from a "reputable breeder" for $400. Most of the ones I saw were in the $600-$800 range, up to $1,000-$1,200 for a show dog with breeding rights.

Ditto to what Mazz had to say.

I would additionally ask any breeder how many pups are on the ground, in addition to the number of breeding pairs. You may want to go as far as asking how many pups they've had on the ground in the past 6 months or year. Remember, you want quality - not quantity. It's very likely (with a quality breeder) that there will be a waiting list....sometimes a year or more long.

A good breeder will more than likely ask you more questions than you ask them! 

And, of course, do consider at least consider adoption of an older Sibe. You'll often find purebreed pups at about the age of six months or so in various shelters as that's the age that they tend to become more independent and more apt to be more problematic than the original owners had expected.

Above all, do your research on the breed. I have a tendency to tell 'newbies' all the bad traits, so I won't go into that - only reiterate that you really need to know what you're getting yourself into. Obviously there wouldn't be an HO forum if we weren't all tremendously smitten with the breed - I've had them for many years and don't intend to have any other. I love the fur on everything, I love the independence, I love the dignity..........I love the poutiness, the zoomies, the howling in the middle of the night. They have such personality. Good luck in your search!

P.S. A good breeder will not give you breeding rights unless they know you extremely well, trust your knowledge of the breed and/or offer to mentor the beginner. Breeding brings up it's own line of questions and responsibilities....are you willing to loose your bitch during pregnancy and birth? Are you willing to live with a moody bitch? Are you financially prepared to take pups back at any point during their life? The list goes on and on.

Edited by Austinville

Doesn't necessarily have to be papered but as long as the breeder is still reputable and has health guarantees.

If the breeder is reputable, they will have proper documentation on all their breed dogs, including vet records. I would say there is no such thing as a health guarantee, as with people, a puppy/adult dog can get sick regardless of their genetics.

I am pro rescues, as both of mine are from the shelter.  Most Huskies in shelters/pounds, were most likely "papered dogs" that escaped from their homes.  I would advise you to you to check the shelters first.  If you have the time, as you say you do, you can train a shelter dog just like a puppy.  Example, I didn't know what Shadow's name was before he was in the shelter.  He now responds to his name and I have taught him lots of things, and he is about 4-5 years old.

I love the feeling and knowing that I saved my boys lives and knowing that they love me even more for saving them.

Good luck with your search and which ever route you choose to take!