They Said Yes!!!!

RJS

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's good :) has the foster carer had him since birth?

I hope Mum comes around, she will regret it later on if not.

Will there be in-direct contact?

He's only been in foster care since June this year.

There may be letterbox contact with birth parents, but as birth mother isn't replying to anything, it's doubtful that it will happen. We've said that we would do the letters, but if no reply after the first two, then we would stop. It's all down to us being able to tell our son that we tried to keep in contact...

There may be letterbox contact with birth parents, but as birth mother isn't replying to anything, it's doubtful that it will happen. We've said that we would do the letters, but if no reply after the first two, then we would stop. It's all down to us being able to tell our son that we tried to keep in contact...

"our son" :) I bet just writing those two small words had you smiling extremely widely :D

I think saying you will write 2 is absolutely the right decision.

I do hope the time flies quickly for you both x

made me go all warm and fuzzy when I read 'our son' big big hugs xxxxx

Ah congrats! Me and hubs started it but fell out with our social worker because she told us we'd have to get rid of the dogs. We decided not to try again after that. Can't wait to hear all your updates :) exciting!!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

That's a shame :( our original social worker was scared of our Kodiak but he's just a big ball of Mal love. They've never really questioned the dogs but we've only had little fluffy for 10 weeks but she's as daft as her bigger brother!

Lol, we have a Kodiak too :) I don't think my hubby was 100% about the whole thing to be honest but our social worker was awful :(.

We did have a nightmare with our old social worker. He constantly complained about Kodiak, but I wrote a 20 page document on the Malamute breed, including breed history, how they were bred as babysitters for the Tribes, etc. our new social worker and our son's social worker were very impressed both by the document and by the dogs themselves.

It was definately a constant battle, but when we eventually got to panel, they never even mentioned Kodiak. When we then got Kala, I told our new social worker, and he was hesitant at first but when he came to visit and so how well both dogs got in, and we explained the training we have put in place, plus the fact she was the same breed, he was happy... Then when we were matched, his social worker wanted to take Kala home with her....

To be honest, when it comes to social workers, unless they know the breed, they do think that they are aggressive, and that they will harm anyone... It's purely down to putting them right and proving to them that they are actually great with kids. It's all down to the way that they are raised...

I wish our social worker had looked at it like that! We spent ages going through all the training we had for Kodi and Sam when he was still with us and they were both impeccable every visit, but she insisted we got rid, and when we said no she said we could forget adopting. She was vile :( I'm so glad you had a sensible social worker :)

I wish our social worker had looked at it like that! We spent ages going through all the training we had for Kodi and Sam when he was still with us and they were both impeccable every visit, but she insisted we got rid, and when we said no she said we could forget adopting. She was vile :( I'm so glad you had a sensible social worker :)

You can still try again and tell them not to give you her again...

:ditto: 

@Kodiak's Mum I can't believe that social worker actually said that to you :( even after she sees for herself how well-behaved your dogs are?? some people can be terribly evil :( I agree though you can always try again with a different social worker

:ditto:

@Kodiak's Mum I can't believe that social worker actually said that to you :( even after she sees for herself how well-behaved your dogs are?? some people can be terribly evil :( I agree though you can always try again with a different social worker

We decided not too, it has put us both off. I don't think it was just the getting rid of the dogs, it was a lot of things she said about our house (which is always spotless) and "Once everything is settled you can get another dog" etc. I have never felt as belittled or angry as I did then. She said that it was 'wrong' that we put the dogs outside for a few minutes when people come in the house to allow them to settle. She said we shouldn't need to do it. We don't need to, but we always have, its part of the routine, as you know, huskies are very excitable. I tend to find Kodi is calmer if people are sat down when he meets them, so he goes outside while they come in and sit down. She thought that this was wrong and didn't mince words in saying so.

Mostly it was just a "make us feel inadequate" session. We were almost at panel, so it really destroyed the whole thing for us I'm afraid.

It is lovely to see it working the way it should though :) my friend adopted 2 boys this year, I have never seen kids so happy. The little one nicked his dads undies and ran away with them down the beach one day in the summer! It was so funny :) lol.

We decided not too, it has put us both off. I don't think it was just the getting rid of the dogs, it was a lot of things she said about our house (which is always spotless) and "Once everything is settled you can get another dog" etc. I have never felt as belittled or angry as I did then. She said that it was 'wrong' that we put the dogs outside for a few minutes when people come in the house to allow them to settle. She said we shouldn't need to do it. We don't need to, but we always have, its part of the routine, as you know, huskies are very excitable. I tend to find Kodi is calmer if people are sat down when he meets them, so he goes outside while they come in and sit down. She thought that this was wrong and didn't mince words in saying so.

Mostly it was just a "make us feel inadequate" session. We were almost at panel, so it really destroyed the whole thing for us I'm afraid.

It is lovely to see it working the way it should though :) my friend adopted 2 boys this year, I have never seen kids so happy. The little one nicked his dads undies and ran away with them down the beach one day in the summer! It was so funny :) lol.

That's exactly what our old social worker was like. He even bad marked Kodiak because he has poor recall... Despite the fact that it's a breed thing!! Then, when I explained its because of the high prey drive, that was it.... I'm glad we stick it through though.

It makes me angry that they can treat people like that. I see so many babies go into care on a regular basis for one reason or another and I wonder why we were not good enough. James won't even consider it now, I did think about it a while ago but just can't bear to go through all that again x

It makes me angry that they can treat people like that. I see so many babies go into care on a regular basis for one reason or another and I wonder why we were not good enough. James won't even consider it now, I did think about it a while ago but just can't bear to go through all that again x

That's perfectly understandable to be honest.

When I look back during the assessment, there were a few occasions where I nearly told our social worker where to go... He even wanted us to get both spare bedrooms decorated and furnished for kids, even though we weren't approved back then!!