If You Bought A Puppy

Chula

Are you still in contact with the breeder?

I bought Chula but she was supposedly not a planned litter. When we picked her up, the guy who was selling her got teary eyed, so I always assumed he had a special bond with her. I send pictures and updates of her about once a month and he always says he is thankful for them and that none of the people who took home her brothers and sisters have sent him anything.

Just wondering if I'm a weirdo for thinking the breeder might want updates? I know some places probably sell hundreds of puppies so maybe it's not a normal thing to do.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not weird at all. If I had given out puppies, or kittens even,  I'd definitely wonder how they were doing and would appreciate updates.

We do not keep in contact with the breeder we got Kato from, but honestly, I'm not that worried about it. They didn't seem like the type to care much about what happened to the pups after they were paid for. If we had had more time to talk to the breeder, and had we been there for the few weeks leading up to our adoption, I would probably feel different, but the process was so quick that we didn't bond with them. Hardly even interacted, really.

I see online all the time though, people who sold or gave away kittens or puppies the previous year, posting ads wondering how the babies are doing now, what they look like, etc. Some people genuinely care and welcome the updates, even if they are no longer with the pet.

The breeder I got Yukon from acted like she really cared about how her pups were doing after they went to their new homes, but I suspect that she really doesn't.  I gave her a few updates, and she didn't reply to the first two, and has never asked me how he was doing.  I visit her website on occasion, and the only "updates" she has are years old, and she has at least 4, sometimes as many as 10 different litters of puppies available.  If I would have done my homework I would never have gotten a puppy from her.

Nikko was a petstore puppy, and yes I know now how bad that is, but I had no idea of exactly how bad when I got him.  I would go and look at the husky puppies but when I met Nikko I instantly bonded with him and I could not resist. 

And since Kodiak is a rescue I am always in communication with the rescue organization and giving updates.  They are pretty strict though.  If for any reason I have to rehome him, they go directly back to the rescue and the microchip is registered to them, so if he goes missing the first call is to them, not me. 

Yeah they wanted updates etc etc.. She has never asked once how Keiko is doing, although she can probably see the photos I upload to facebook. Think it changed when I caught her in a lie :S But If I bred dogs, I would like to have updates.

I don't keep in touch with Diamond's previous owner either, but I'm sure breeders, rescue organizations or wherever you got your puppy from would welcome updates. Or at least would. If one day I have to give up a pet I'd love to hear about how he/she is doing even if that pet is no longer mine. 

Yep i have my breeder on Facebook so she can see how Shadow is :) Also in contact with a couple who got Shadows brother and later on took on his father to :)

I am not in contact with Skye's breeders which i am gutted about as i really want more information on her parents.

I'd like to bring Chula back to visit her momma, but they live a good 90 minutes away. Maybe someday! 

Yeah and my boys see their parents for walks often as well :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I had shadows dad and brother round at one point his dad was very dominant and kept growling at him but his brother was nervous but then they played and played! Was when i had Logan though so 2 dominant males in the same room wasn't the best lol

I'm also friends on facebook with Keikos dad she aslo owns her brother. She is also in contact with Keikos twin brother, But they live a good 2 hr drive from me so hard to meet up. But the mothers owner isn't bothered. Think she did it for the money tbh. 

Zoya's breeder has a FB site, a Web site, and we e-mail back and forth. She encourages those who are caretakers of those Huskies that started in her kennel, to keep in contact. I think it demonstrates that the breeder cares. I know Zoya's breeder cares and that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. (Now that's weird!!)

It's completely normal- Denali's breeder and I are good friends and we frequently get together and do lunch- she sees D a ton and it's been a great experience.   The girl's breeder has been going through a lot of personal stuff but she still takes the time to call when she has a moment.  The others came from either rescue situations or breeders that only cared about the money.

Nope we found out a few weeks after we got Daughtry she was selling all her Huskies.

(she had about 5 studs and about 20 bitches)

We heard (unnoficially) that the tax man had come sniffing about undeclared incomes.

Imagine, 20 times 2 litters times 5 per litter at £300 per puppy.

That's a lot of undeclared income.

and they would take it back to the age of the oldest breeding bitch too.

You're probably talking somewhere around £300,000 in undeclared income.

Ouch.

I'm still in contact with Mishka's old owner, I post updates on fb for him to see, and I'd go round his house with Mishka once in a while before we moved, he also looked after her for a week when I went to Scotland, he really cared about her and still misses her, its only fair to keep him updated, I know I'd be devestated if I had to rehome my pup and I'd never hear from them again.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

When I gave my snake to london zoo they were brilliant, or at least the keeper was, he called me to let me know Hawke was out of quarantine, again when he first went to stud, when his first clutch hatched, and six months later he was sent away as part of a breeding programme,  no more visits to see him  :(

I still keep in touch with bears breeder,  sent them piccys etc, I just wish they were able to keep in touch with the other puppies owners,  it would be nice to see how they turned out (and how big they are !)

Ryn's breeder (Sutsibe here) and I became very good friends and still spend quite a bit of time together. Ryn gets to play with her husky-mom, Aurora, and her brother (plus grandparents and aunts and uncles). 

It's funny, but Ryn knows she belongs to that pack, but also knows that in a way - she doesn't...

If I have questions about Ryn's health, activities, or anything, I know I can call to get the information and assistance. 

I'm one of the lucky ones, I guess.

Yes I am in touch with Mias breeder, he came straight over to see her when she was ill in March. I am also in touch with a couple who have 2 of her siblings, its lovely to see them play together :) and they get so excited to see each other too