Interesting Article On Raw Dog Food....

Elyse

http://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com/post/34362052572/raw-dog-food-versus-cooked#.UbczYujn7O8.facebook

This article is in no way bashing the BARF/raw food diet...it just cites some concerns and things you should be aware of. Very interesting. 

I don't personally feed mine raw (his stomach can't tolerate it). 

Very interesting :) I feed both of mine on RAW and i am careful to make sure everything is disinfected before and after etc the same as i do when handling raw meat for us to cook etc! Common sense really. 

Both mine do extremely well on raw and i noticed a big difference in Shadow expecially when i changed him over, on dry he used to itch ALOT and his skin was very dry and had a dodgy stomach quite alot and tbh he just simply didn't want to eat his dry food alot of the time! His coat is now shiny and skin is lovely and he doesn't scratch any where near as much as he did! Both their teeth are immaculate condition also due to the bones. 

Didn't know that we could be buying meat for ourselves that could contain salmonella though thats interesting!!!! 

Interesting article.  Most vets do not endorse raw feeding.  I have never been a fan of raw feeding, and I know there are those who swear by it.  That's fine.  We each make our decisions based on our bias, and our own set of beliefs.

That is a good article. It seems that the argument being made is not whether raw feeding is good for your dog, rather that small commercial suppliers of raw/barf foods don't have the same processes in place to ensure that salmonella or E coli are not present. This puts the dog and owner at risk. 

If you are buying meat from a butcher or supermarket and freezing for a few days then I think the risk is very small.

Bear has only been on a raw diet for a couple of weeks so it's early days for us yet, I haven't noticed a drastic change in his skin or coat but I have in his behaviour, the hyper bad behaviour has literally been cut in half, he's not perfect, (I think I'd worry if he was) but now he will actually walk down the street instead of pull, I only wish I'd done it sooner,  when we get husky No 2 she will be raw Fed as well.  

Bear has only been on a raw diet for a couple of weeks so it's early days for us yet, I haven't noticed a drastic change in his skin or coat but I have in his behaviour, the hyper bad behaviour has literally been cut in half, he's not perfect, (I think I'd worry if he was) but now he will actually walk down the street instead of pull, I only wish I'd done it sooner,  when we get husky No 2 she will be raw Fed as well.  

You see...I got the opposite response. When I tried to put Suka on a full raw diet (besides his stomach not being able to tolerate it...which is why I took him off of it), he was more aggressive and protective of his things. 

Good article :) I got a proper grilling from our vet on Friday when I told he we tried Kodiak on Raw and fair enough he was there because of a very upset stomach but He hadn't had any raw food since the weekend and was still bad, so now I'm just as confused as to what's best for him and us as I ever was :S

It's personal preference. Neither of mine are food aggressive, toy aggressive, hyper etc both on raw. Mine personally do really well on it but it's not for everyone or every dog also it's not a case of just giving them some chicken wings etc you need a varied diet also different meats have different protein levels etc and if you don't get your variety right you could affect your dogs health in the long run which is why I say research it. I'm still learning stuff now myself!

my vet knows a lot of people from the dobbie community she is in and they feed their dogs Raw.

it doesn't bother me which one I feed them, and I believe value wise it is quite similar to what I pay at the moment for a 15kg bag.

I know my boys prefer the raw diet.