School Project

Mia-Blue

Just need to rant about Abbie my 8 year olds school project.......she was given the task of building a monster with a moving part. Now she had some fantastic ideas and spent a few days talking them through with her dad and eventually settled on an egg box monster with a straw attached to a balloon on the inside of the box, which when blown up would open the box.....or monsters mouth. Now Abbie decided she wanted to make the monster by herself, she spent hours on the project, making eyes and horns and colouring the box in to turn it into a scary monster. Now today was final hand in day so off she went to school with her monster in hand and a written explanation of her design.

Well at the end of the school day Abbie had her monster in a carrier bag with the story it was broken by a boy in breakfast club..........well no that wasn't the case, the truth was so many children had fantastic models made by their parents that my little girl was embarrassed by hers and broke all her hard work so she didn't have to hand it in!!! I'm so cross, isn't the whole point of these projects to build a childs own imagination and confidence?? So we have had a late night building another project, that Abbie feels has had enough parental input to be acceptable by her classmates!

I feel really upset and disappointed about the whole thing :(

That is such a shame, Abbie should be very proud of herself, the fact that she had designed and built it all herself is a huge achievement. I would hope the teacher would have also seen the effort. We have parents that do everything for their children as well and it annoys me no end. Because my son who is only 5 will say his one isn't very good. I try to point out that HE did it, but think they do get disheartened. Thankfully the teachers award those who did it on their own!  

That is such a shame, Abbie should be very proud of herself, the fact that she had designed and built it all herself is a huge achievement. I would hope the teacher would have also seen the effort. We have parents that do everything for their children as well and it annoys me no end. Because my son who is only 5 will say his one isn't very good. I try to point out that HE did it, but think they do get disheartened. Thankfully the teachers award those who did it on their own!

That was the chat we had in the car this morning......its all your own work and how very proud of her I was for making her fantastic monster.

I could have cried at tea time when I saw how upset she was. I really cannot see the point in these projects if the parents do all the work, where is the learning in that? So yet again my poor girl has had her confidence knocked again, it just makes me feel so sad to see that she doesn't feel able to be proud of her own ability for fear of ridicule by her peers :(

Currently I work in a childrens centre and I continuously have to remind parents that their childrens work isn't about the end product but is about the effort they put into the activity!

Couldn't have said it better myself. We get weekly news letters that clearly tells us not to help our children, yet some still do I'm tempted at times, but I know it wont help Leland in the long run. Could you not take the 1st one in as well and explain to the teacher how upset Abbie was?

Couldn't have said it better myself. We get weekly news letters that clearly tells us not to help our children, yet some still do I'm tempted at times, but I know it wont help Leland in the long run. Could you not take the 1st one in as well and explain to the teacher how upset Abbie was?

It's sad that as a parent we feel pressurised to do out children's work for them when we know it would be for all the wrong reasons!

I am going in to school tomorrow to explain the situation and how upset Abbie has been about it.

Have to be honest I'm so glad mine are past that stage,  it is disheartening for the kids who do the work themselves, debs, do you have a piccy of abbies monster by any chance ?  If so post it up perhaps a little impartial thoughts might make her feel better

It is because I don't think they actually learn anything when it's done for them. The most I do is sit there and make myself look and sound a fool trying to spell things for him using phonics. Wasn't around when I was in school. 

Hopefully her teacher can boost her confidence back up tomorrow :) 

Have to be honest I'm so glad mine are past that stage, it is disheartening for the kids who do the work themselves, debs, do you have a piccy of abbies monster by any chance ? If so post it up perhaps a little impartial thoughts might make her feel better

I don't have a picture no, and usually I would take one! That would have been so nice for her too, what a lovely thought x

It is because I don't think they actually learn anything when it's done for them. The most I do is sit there and make myself look and sound a fool trying to spell things for him using phonics. Wasn't around when I was in school.

Hopefully her teacher can boost her confidence back up tomorrow :)

Yes her teacher is quite good so I will have a chat tomorrow and put her in the picture!

Oh I love phonics.........do you know all the songs??

Yes her teacher is quite good so I will have a chat tomorrow and put her in the picture!

Oh I love phonics.........do you know all the songs??

LOL my son almost wees his self laughing  because I can't roll my tongue enough for "L" They do the jolly phonics song!?!  which yes I know most of the song and actions lol youtube :D

It's so sad when that happens :( there's no harm in helping your child but they have to do most of it themselves to learn from it yet some parents don't see it that way.

She should be proud of herself for doing the work herself :) xx

If the teacher is agreeable, here's an idea, announce to the class that there is a little prize for the parent who did the best project,  then at the end of school embarrass all parents with fact that their kids ratted them out for helping,  we had a couple of parents who helped their kids ALOT,  after the teacher did that it was a lot less of a problem.  

Whenbi cover art lessons I always make sure the staff understand I want the pupils best not theirs as they will do ut for them. Always supported my 2 but never did it for them but yiy could tell the ones the parents had made annoys the hell outa me. I'm sure Abbies was lovely x

How sad that Abbie felt that way, or rather was made to feel that way by her peers. I used to be a teaching assistant for infant classes & when they had to make things at home, it was obvious whose were made by a parent or not & they were "omitted" from the serious marking; it's just not fair that a child puts so much thought, effort & creativity into a project then feels bad about it to the point it is broken. I hope you get somewhere with the school, Debs, x

Well I went in to school yesterday morning and spoke at length with Abbie's learning mentor. She was genuinely upset herself about how Abbie was feeling and that she had felt her project wasn't good enough.

She promised the speak with the class teacher about it. I am awaiting feedback as to how that went, but hopefully some work will be done with the whole class on valuing each other and any work produced