Is It Wrong To Think Of Your Dogs As Protection?

aronoiiel

I find myself conflicted about this often and it is most likely an emotional woman thing I guess. I just have trouble thinking of my dogs as protection. We are the ones supposed to keep them healthy and happy right? Last night a guy was ranting in our parking lot about being a gang member and going to shoot everyone in the apartment comex. Then he started knocking on doors. He xame to ours, mind you it was 1:30am, and Diesel got very angry and protectiive. Kiana let out alert barks and was standing behind Diesel. Diesel though being a gsd mix went right to the door hackles up ears alert and intimidating as I have ever seen him. Deep chested barks and deep growls were all I heard. The guy quickly left thank goodness. Someone had called the cops but I dont know if they got him.

While I am proud of him I cant help but feel guilty over how safe he makes me feel. If he was ever hurt I would be devestated as any pet owner. The selfish side of me though wants to hide in that feeling of security he gave me last night and I cant help but feel a bit disgusted at myself for that. I didnt get them for protection I got them for love and comapnionship.

So what is everyone's opinion on security vs love when it comes to dogs?

I like to think it's a mutual, they protect and comfort you and show you love, in the same way that you do for them. GS are known for their natural guarding instincts anyway. When we are out walking ours. People tend to cross the street not because she shows any sign of aggression. I think it is purely down to her size and "power walk". However I like that if I'm on my own or with my child I don't want people approaching me. Specially of a night (I'm shy anyway lol)   :P So I find it comfort to know she would protect my family and I would do everything in my power to protect them (both dogs). I don't think you should be feeling guilty, your dogs were merely doing what they may see as their job and warning that man to stay away. He had the sense to do as told.   

Do hope this makes sense lol I'm not very good at putting things into words.

Theres a few ways to look at it .....

Best way in this instance is that He's Protecting you and the pack in the only way he can and is doing it out of respect and Love in the way he doesn't want to see you hurt etc the same way if it were from the other foot.

Your his protector and his friend and companion as much as it is the reverse

I think it's a yes n no thing, if you only use your dogs as protection then yes it's wrong , but if they protect u and you'd do the same for them I don't think it's wrong at all , I'd do anything to protect my dogs even if it meant me being hurt but that won't stop them wanting to protect me either

Husky are pack animals, just the same as wolves, every wolf would fight to protect their family, their pack, huskys are the same.  You are his pack, your home is pack territory, of course he will protect it, and you.  You would fight for your dog's, you can't expect them to do any less for you, they love you.

One of my dogs is actually being trained in personal protection work so no I don't think it's a bad thing. I hope there's never an opportunity where she has to bite anyone in a dangerous situation but its also part of her genetics and its safer to train her to know what to do than to have an untrained dog.

Very few dogs actually have the right genetics etc for protection work. But a lot of dogs make good watch dogs and deterrents :)

Husky are pack animals, just the same as wolves, every wolf would fight to protect their family, their pack, huskys are the same.  You are his pack, your home is pack territory, of course he will protect it, and you.  You would fight for your dog's, you can't expect them to do any less for you, they love you.

Haha - thanks for the kind words, but I know this by experience. Been pulled down many times, clearly in a lot of pain and bleeding, yet Suka didn't do anything nor showed concern. He just wanted to continue walking.  :rolleyes:

Haha - thanks for the kind words, but I know this by experience. Been pulled down many times, clearly in a lot of pain and bleeding, yet Suka didn't do anything nor showed concern. He just wanted to continue walking.  :rolleyes:

LOL! sorry don't mean to laugh, but maybe it is because he did the pulling down?

Darwin and Daughtry have never shown any aggression towards people.

However Echo (White GSD) will back strangers up against the wall.

There have been a couple of times when unsavoury characters have knocked on the door.

Most of our neighborhood is elderly and people will prey on their inability not to be pressurised into

whatever repairs / offers / shenanigans they are offering. 

Echo's aggressive bark behinds the door has usually sent them back down the drive and off.

I would not use Echo to intimidate people when out on a walk, however to protect my family

and property whilst on my property. . . . 

HELL YES.

LOL! sorry don't mean to laugh, but maybe it is because he did the pulling down?

Haha - maybe - but you'd think...being able to smell my blood...he'd know something is wrong. Oh well - I don't hold it against him...he's a husky, not a rescue dog! 

I don't think you are 'using' your dog for protection at all. Diesel is doing what many dogs do naturally - Protect their home and loved ones. I don't think you should feel one ounce of guilt. Diesel enjoys the safety and love from the environment you provide, I think that you can be happy with the reciprocal safety and love he provides.

I agree with everyone else I think Diesel is just acting based on his natural instincts. As for me, I don't feel bad when Dime growled at another dog that charged and tried to bite me, but if I see a fight is about to break out I'd call him away. The same with people I guess if he's just giving out warnings I'd be okay but when I see a person is about to hurt him or vice versa, I'd call Dime away. It's a mutual relationship really. Us humans provide them with shelter, food, love and care. In return they give us their unconditional love and protection. Oh and the hilarious antics that always cheer us up :D 

I am with

I'd do anything to protect Suka, but I don't think he'd do anything to protect me...its not in his personality. :/

That is the same as my Siberian.  I do not think that Maverick would give a da*n if I was being attacked.  It is not in a Husky's nature.  I told many people about my last Husky, and how I did not think that he would care one way or another if I was being attacked.  They would say "Oh no, he would tear them up."  But, I had a buddy of mine who dropped by my house about 16 years ago that was trying to get my dog to bark at him (to wake me up).  He would not though.  He even tried to rough him up through the window.  Nothing, except Zeke licked his hand.

I am with

That is the same as my Siberian.  I do not think that Maverick would give a da*n if I was being attacked.  It is not in a Husky's nature.  I told many people about my last Husky, and how I did not think that he would care one way or another if I was being attacked.  They would say "Oh no, he would tear them up."  But, I had a buddy of mine who dropped by my house about 16 years ago that was trying to get my dog to bark at him (to wake me up).  He would not though.  He even tried to rough him up through the window.  Nothing, except Zeke licked his hand.

People always like to assume their dogs will jump up and "protect" them if needed, but it is far from reality. Some dogs will make noise but very few will have the nerve to actively engage someone.

I am with

Glad to hear I'm not alone, then! :)

I had a female German Shepherd who I believe would have protected me - we did some threat training with her and she loved it.  She was a great deterrent a few times.

My male German Shepherd is a deterrent, but nothing more.  He's a wimp.

Neb (Husky mix) isn't a wimp, but I would never look to him for protection.  He's a tough dog, but I don't see him as having the same behaviours my female did.  If I wanted a dog for actual protection (as opposed to deterrent) I would not look to a Husky for it - but then, I wouldn't even look to most German Shepherds (particularly if they are show lines versus working lines).  

Mind you, Neb's default when he sees a person is to wag.  Even my wimpy German Shepherd is more suspicious then him (but he barks because he's nervous usually, though a big deep German Shepherd bark is a great deterrent, especially because most people don't have enough understanding of dog body language and behaviour to recognize why he's barking).